Apps used for 2.5 vs. 2.6 GHz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GreenBadger, Feb 26, 2008.

1. GreenBadger macrumors newbie

I've been looking for specs on the 2.5 vs. 2.6. Is the 2.6 a Penryn? On the specs page it says nothing about the 6MB cache for the 2.6...

Second, what apps? Games/video editing/photo editing, would I need the 2.6 GHz for vs. the 2.5? What type of apps would I see a difference?

Thanks

GB

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

Yes the (new) 2.6's are Penryns, yes they have 6mb cache.

The only place it would make a possibly worthwhile difference, is on giant rendering projects that for some reason are being done on Macbook Pro's instead of Mac Pros, where time is literally money and being seconds faster will pay for itself over time.

Or bragging rights and a bank account to match.

Or if you are a FPS seeker in video games, where the 8600GT is such a limitation you shouldn't buy a MBP anyway.

There is no way any user who truly needs the 2.6 wouldn't already know they need and why, so since you aren't sure save your money it isn't worth it for you.

The 2.5 6MB should be an amazingly fast, amazingly cool for the performance CPU.

-Allen

3. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

When there was a 2.4 and a 2.6 I knew I needed the 2.6 - but now, 0.1Ghz... I just don't know.

Is this really going to make any noticeable difference to anyone?

I really need your advice guys as I want to buy with the week.

Thanks in advance :)