apps will not install

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macgru, Nov 11, 2016.

1. macgru macrumors newbie

macgru

Hi wonder if anyone can help me with this. I am trying to install apps i am using osx tiger 10.4 on a mac pro 1.1 . When i try an install an app it flashes for a second in the bottom bar then vanishes. And will not install. Also i do not seem to have the app store there does not seem a way to get it. I have tried softonic but the page will not display properly on safari. And i cannot install another browser because of the install problem

2. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.x is very old now, you are probably facing compatibility issues.
    Why Tiger and what apps do you need to run ?

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You'll need to update to at least 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and then run Software Update to get the App Store.

4. macgru thread starter macrumors newbie

macgru

Thats what the computer came with. I bought it non working but booting it was the video card. Sure it just sat about for years.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2016 ---
    tried updating to to 10.6 but said it needs 10.5 before it would do it

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That shouldn't happen, unless the DVD says "Drop In" on it (in which case it's not licensed for your system).

6. macgru thread starter macrumors newbie

macgru

all i want to do really is install an app not to bothered about the app store. Never seen any other computer that refuses to install apps before this is a new one.

7. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

Can you tell us the name of the application and the source of it? Maybe it is just incompatible with an OS, that is eleven years old.

8. macgru thread starter macrumors newbie

macgru

. Hi thanks when i hold down the option key at startup it does not show the dvd drive mac or usb tried different osx boot discs all the same no show.They are both available when i boot to tiger. I want to install snow leopard but cannot boot from dvd on to a new hd. No matter what key i press nothing happens apart from option it only shows hds. I have tried every possible way to get this to boot to no avail

9. macgru, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016

macgru thread starter macrumors newbie

macgru

. Could be my keyboard try that first all i want to use this is to host vstis that uses a lot of ram like Kontakt. I can network my PC with the Mac through Reaper Daw. With quad 3.0 and 32 gb it would be spot on and cost as much as the memory sticks for my PC. Plus the Mac is very pretty. I hate things like this being wasted the amount of IT junk in the world is incredible all in the name of being the latest and greatest. Which is a fading dream as soon as you pull the trigger

10. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

Try to set your boot drive from Mac OS (Tiger) -> System Preferences -> Startup Disk

11. macgru thread starter macrumors newbie

macgru

Thanks for all your help folks got it to work by installing from USB. Been quite a challenge since i know very little about OSX. This what i did

1. Open Disk Utility
    2. Plug in USB
    3. Format USB to Mac Extended (Journaled)
    4. Create Partition on USB [GUID for Intel chips, APM for PPC]
    5. Unmount created Partition
    6. Drag and Drop disk image (dmg or iso) into Disk Utility
    7. Open disk image (double click or button in DU)
    8. Select opened disk image on left menu
    9. Click over to Restore
    10. Drag and drop selected image into source field
    11. Drag and drop (unmounted) USB partition into destination
    12. OK (may have to type in admin passwords and such)
    13. Wait
    14. Reboot should boot from usb mines did