Apps with issues/problems under 4.2 GM

Discussion in 'iPad' started by petvas, Nov 2, 2010.

1. petvas, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010

petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I wanted to start a thread to list all apps that do not work well on The GM release iOS 4.2 on the iPad. Please note that these programs work great on the latest public release of iOS and are going to get updated to support the upcoming release. if you do not understand what a GM is, or how development works, please do not read that! The programs I mention are really great and I suggest you go out and buy them.
    Here is my list:

• Noterize: Editing Text isn't possible.
    • Omnifocus: When creating a new MobileMe sync profile, no text can be typed into the password box.
    • Weather HD (from wetter.com - German App): Tapping on a single day doesn't show the hours indicator, thus not allowing to see the weather on an hourly basis.
    • Omicronnotes:Moving between pages jumps 2-3 pages every time!
    • iWork: Cannot add pictures to Pages, Numbers and Keynote.
    • chuchu rocket: crashes (posted by spammerhamster)
    • zinio: when downloading and switching to other apps and then switching back to zinio, will cause zinio to hang. (posted by spammerhamster)
    • Lifelike clock: crashes (posted by Arnieaz)
    • Tap Studio: crashes (posted by mkTank) - This is an iPhone app

That's it for now. If you have more apps misbehaving, post them here!

Of course the developers should also know, so please contact them!

2. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

For me I'm still having issues with inserting pictures into pages/keynote/numbers. The media library shows up, I can select a picture (it goes grey) but nothing happens. In beta 1 it crashed, since beta 2 nothing happens but in GM i can at least copy&paste from photos.

Maybe it's because I upgraded not restored? I did reinstall pages but no changes.

3. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I can confirm the same issue. I have also updated but this shouldn't be the issue here. Apple will deliver an update I guess.

4. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

Cool, won't bother with a restore until someone can confirm it fixes it or apple update their apps. Fingers crossed for iMovie too.

5. lozpop macrumors 6502

I can't wait for all of my apps to be updated for iOS 4.2.

6. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Me too. I guess we will be seeing updates coming in the next one or two weeks.

I have updated the application list with iWork and Omicronnotes.

7. T4R06 macrumors 65816

These problems are not iOS related. It's the apps itself. Surely there will be an update on these apps soon.

8. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Of course they are related to iOS 4.2. Before that these apps worked ok. This thread isn't here to rant about apps not working, but to provide guidance and help for people that want to become early adopters by installing iOS 4.2.
    Of course these apps will get updated and the issues will be resolved. No one says otherwise. Most people wont probably even notice that these apps do not work ok, since by the time iOS 4.2 will be officially available, these apps will also get updated. If not, then we should blame the developers, not before.

9. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

• I can reproduce the Pages issue.
    • I do not have a problem with Weather HD.
    • I do have a problem with Twitter not remembering its state but that's been in ever since the beta version first came out.
    • iCabMobile doesn't render Flickr properly.

10. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

When you tap on a day in WeatherHD, do you see the details? When I tap on a day nothing happens.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Still ? Would have thought they would have at least fixed this tbh before GM :rolleyes:

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Wow this pathetic thread is really fair to developers. Trashing their apps names saying they don't work and halting sales of their apps. Really well thought out.

Yet another reason why I wish Betas were only available to developers who understand this stuff.

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thats not always possible. Certain bug fixes in the versions before GM may screw up any code that was already fixed. GM is the last chance to get it right before release.

14. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Accuradio stops at the end of every song when running in background.

15. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

It's handy for those to consider using 4.2 (gm or not)
    If a much-used app is still not 4.2-ready, people might hold off upgrading. No one is blaming devs. It's just you making a big deal of it.

The other best option is to write reviews in itunes. Which you'd prefer?

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

First, GMs are not for the public because the public doesn't understand the development process.

Second, by posting that x app doesn't work is giving the dev's hard work a bad name for no reason. If something doesn't work AFTER the update, then people have a reason to post, not before. This isn't fair to the developer who is most likely slaving away at getting the app ready for release.

Third, if someone posted something in iTunes saying "Application x doesnt work with build 4.2" before 4.2 is out then Apples not going to approve that post.

17. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I don't understand your reasoning. As I said before, this thread is about discussing issues with apps that didn't exist before iOS 4.2 for the iPad.
    I don't see how this is unfair to developers. At least mentioning these apps here, shows that people have bought them! I love these apps and I use them daily, so I think it is fair to other people knowing these things before they upgrade to the unofficial GM.

18. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Something about Noterize. i emailed them two weeks ago mentioning the issues with their app and they responded immediately. They said that they will update their app before public availability of iOS 4.2.
    Great support from Noterize!

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

The first line of your post says this:

This is all most everyone sees when they stop by this thread. This line has no mention that the apps are being tested on a beta version of iOS 4.2. Sure the thread title says GM but a lot of people don't realize what that means, or they think its for sure the final version of iOS 4.2.

I understand that you have these apps and love them, and thats great. But by posting that they have problems in the upcoming release of a new version of iOS isn't doing the app developers any favors. If people are on the fence about getting these apps they may wait or end up not getting them at all. I do really appreciate how you did note for people to email the developers with what they find though although sadly I'm sure most people won't do it.

I didn't mean to come off so snarky earlier (my dentist messed up a filling so I'm in extreme pain and extreme grumpiness comes with it :eek:)

20. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

If people are so shallow and cannot read and still want to update to the GM version, they will eventually blame Apple and all developers for whatever issues they might encounter. If, everytime I post something, I had to think about every stupid person who cannot think logically, I would never ever post anything. I guess no one would!

I will update the first post to make sure most people understand.

21. shotts56 macrumors 6502

So if we're doing beta testing and we find something that doesn't work, we should keep it a secret ? How does that help developers ?

It could easily be that the developers don't realise their app isnt 4.2 compatible, so people drawing it to their attention or highlighting it to them (by whatever means) has to be helpful to all in the long run.

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thank you :) That new thread intro is really great and definitely better reflects what the thread is about. I appreciate you taking the time to do it.

Sorry about being so nasty earlier :eek: I should probably stay off Macrumors until my tooth is fixed today because I will be a bear until it is. (I know its no excuse but the littlest thing sets you off when you feel like you have been shot in the face).

23. bcaslis macrumors 68020

How exactly are you doing "beta" testing? Apple has only released this to registers developers. If you aren't a registered developer then you have it and are using it illegally. Registered developers have access to a development forum to raise issues.

If you really truly are just trying to help, how about letting the developer know directly? It's not "helping" them by posting in a Macrumors forum. You think think they are monitoring discussions here?

24. adamran macrumors member

You might want to checkout the definition of the word "halt".

I don't think this threads going to be "halting" the sales of the likes of Pages etc.

25. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Until 4.2 goes public, it is not finished product, so we really can't even comment on whether it works or not. Even iWork is having issues and it is made by apple.