Apps with ?

jariev202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Hi, I have all my applications with a ? over them. What does that means? Should i get worried?

I added a picture of one of my apps so you may know what i mean.

Any answer appreaciated :)

thanks!

Attachments

jariev202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2005
I did repaired permissions and even ran diskwarrior with no problems found but I still have that little ? over all my apps. The apps for the moment open fine. I have osx tiger with all updates ina powerbook g4.

dunc85

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2006
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151940

If you delete an application or document that has an icon in the Dock, the Dock icon changes to a question mark.
To remove the question mark icon:

Drag it from the Dock.

To add a new item to the Dock, locate the item and drag its icon to the Dock.

When you say they load fine, does that mean they run when you click the Dock icon?

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
dunc85 said:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151940

If you delete an application or document that has an icon in the Dock, the Dock icon changes to a question mark.
To remove the question mark icon:

Drag it from the Dock.

To add a new item to the Dock, locate the item and drag its icon to the Dock.

When you say they load fine, does that mean they run when you click the Dock icon?
different type of question mark here

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Is your computer an Apple? Looks like some sort of identity crisis or something.:confused: I'v never seen that question mark anywhere in any Apple OS before!
Definitely erase and install.

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
srf4real said:
Is your computer an Apple? Looks like some sort of identity crisis or something.:confused: I'v never seen that question mark anywhere in any Apple OS before!
Definitely erase and install.
erase and install??!!?!?!?
why not start with an archive and install and then go to a more definite installation method

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
elisha cuthbert said:
erase and install??!!?!?!?
why not start with an archive and install and then go to a more definite installation method
I'm thinking that particular question mark should not exist on ANY Apple OS... unless the OS has been compromised in some way. Backup... Erase... Install!
or is it a pc:confused:

jariev202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Thanks for all the answers. Of course my computer is an apple computer, a really nice powerbook g4. with 10.4.7 installed. The ? over the apps is not over the icons in the dock. It's over all the apps in /applications folder. I have discovered that they stay like that for some time (some restarts) and then they are gone to be back later (don't know yet why they come back). I've been thinking if I had installed or done something to comprimise the system, but it's been a while I have kept my computer untouched (no new installs, only work with documents)

I wish I didn't had to reinstall !!!

jariev202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Using a different user doesn't help :( Really strange that little ? over my apps though they still seem to work with no problems.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Are you using any utilities that modify system behavior in any way? Anything like Candybar, Uno, etc? I too have never seen this kind of question mark icon before....