Apps worth jailbreaking for?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iSaga, Sep 14, 2008.

1. iSaga macrumors regular

I'm wondering what the advantage is to jailbreaking the 3G. Do users have more issues with a jail broken iphone? What apps are truely worth jail breaking for?

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Hands down, WinterBoard. That, Cycorder and BossPrefs are all I install. Oh and OpenSSH, naturally.

Other than that, I get all my apps from the App Store. And no, I haven't had any problems from jailbreaking, ever (and I've jailbroken every firmware since 1.1.1) ... ;)

3. pj rage macrumors 6502

Couldn't live without winterboard (theming). Also, I absolutely could not live without categories, which lets you put your apps into "folders" so that you can have a clean springboard. I've grown to like quick gold quite a bit as well. It's all I use for launching apps because it's just so fast and easy, rather than scrolling through pages or going into the category folders.

I don't do any video recording really, but Cycorder is awesome and if you want video recording, this alone is worth it.

Finally, SSH is great. I love having access to the file system. I've modified a few plists myself to do things like change the number of vibes for mail and sms.

4. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Honestly the theme aspect is very nice and very good for eye candy but the MAIN reason why I jailbreak is so I can have louder email/sms/calendar tones because the default ones really suck.

5. bushido Suspended

bushido

Winterboard, biteSMS, lastFM scrobbler, killing the european volume limit and something i wont mention in here :cool:

6. iSaga thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I just did the jailbreaking , mostly for the cycorder app. Didn't think I would be into the themes but they are pretty cool.

Regarding cycorder, is there a way to get the videos off the phone? I just installed and haven't really played around with it yet.Also does anyone know the name of the app that allows you to utilize tethering?

7. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

The NES and GBA emulators, NES.app and gpSPhone (which should be GBAphone, but isn't). Sure, the ROMs are a little buggy, but they work.

8. iSaga thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I'm really curious as to what it is you can't mention on here?

9. bushido Suspended

bushido

u need to SSH into your phone and then copy the videos out of the Cycorder folder from the Application folder

10. i eversaw macrumors regular

i eversaw

Speaking of winterboard, how do you get more themes? when i go into it, there's only like 6 items there and none are themes. Also, the themes i download from cydia don't work...

11. 12Iceman macrumors newbie

NES.app, Cycorder, Cydia (what the app store should have been), Winterboard, NemusSync (sync gmail calendar to iPhone), BossPrefs, Categories, OpenSSH, etc.

12. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Cracked AppStore apps probably.

13. bakara macrumors newbie

14. Aznsensation45 macrumors regular

Cycorder - Video recording
    BiteSMS - multimedia messaging and forwarding text
    Winterboard - change the appearance of your iPhone (amazing)
    PdaNet - just like netshare, use it as a router for iPhone
    Categories - organize all your icons into folders so you don't have like 8 pages
    Five Icon Dock - it's actually very nice and handy
    MxTube - youtube video downloader works great!
    Wifi Toggle - one button on springboard to toggle wifi (instead of going into preferences)

15. tbird2340 macrumors member

Quick Gold and Winterboard so far are the best for me (only jailbroke since yesterday).

Quick Gold is awesome!

16. navigates macrumors 6502a

17. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

go to www.electricman5.com go to his forum and click on ipod/iphone hacks and there are a ton of sources you can download to get more packages and themes and everything..then download all sources or all cydia sources ..and you will get a ton of stuff

18. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Shiver me timbers matey, that be against the code! Dead men tell no tales, and fer that you'll be walking the plank!

19. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Keep in mind that all the apps the above posters listed are in addition to what you can get from the app store. Best of both worlds.

20. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

qik = video recorder (that is location aware, streams to the internet, twitters that you are streaming)
    winterboard = skinning
    iphone modem = tethering
    bossprefs = toggle (wifi, ssh, edge, and bluetooth in one app)
    terminal = terminal
    openssh = open ssh

that is pretty much it for me

21. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

22. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

everyone who jailbreaks there phone .this is the first app they should get

THAT WAS EASY!

23. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Does the iphone modem allow for tethering with the original iphone or just the 3g?

24. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Cycorder is the only real reason why I could imagine jailbreaking my phone. I just keep hoping Apple releases an update with video recording, so I can stop thinking about the possibility of jailbreaking.