AppsFire - How is this possible?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by MACloop, Mar 21, 2011.

1. MACloop macrumors 6502

Hello everyone!
    I have the app AppsFire and I am a bit curious about how they are able to see what apps I have installed on my iPhone? I thought every app lives in a sandbox and one app does not know anything about/ cannot communicate with other apps installed on the iPhone. This app though, somehow seems to know what I have installed on my phone...? How do they do that? Any ideas? They must have found a way to go around the sandbox problematic or are there other ways to see what apps are installed on a specific iPhone?
    I think this is very interesting! Any Ideas how this is solved?
    Thanks in advance!
    MACloop

2. JFire, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011

JFire macrumors newbie

Hi MACloop,

I'm a Product Manager at Appsfire. We're happy you've found the app and hope you're enjoying.

Everything we do is within Apple's guidelines and plays by the rules that all other apps play by. Think about using FB Connect within an app on on iPhone - you're directed to Facebook's app for authentication and then redirected back to the app you connected from. Nothing magical.

Cheers,

Jonathan

3. MACloop, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011

MACloop thread starter macrumors 6502

Hello Jonathan,
    thanks for the answer! I am sure you are playing by the rules and I am only curious how the rules may be used ;-) . I downloaded the app and did not give in anything about facebook or anything else identifyng me or my iphone. And the app did recognize apps installed on my phone anymay. My first thought was some kind of communication with itunes/app store where my user is connected to the apps I have downloaded. I understand that you dont want to give me the solutions for your app and I am only interested in how you have used the technic available in the api. I would be very interested in some kind of hints on this issue...
    Thankns in advance and if I did not mentions that before - your app is awsome!
    MACloop

4. JFire macrumors newbie

Hi,

Unfortunately I can't really go into much more detail, but I can say that we're using information that many other apps are using.

And of course we agree that the app is awesome ;-)

Cheers,

Jonathan