Appsniper "low memory" problem

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by aluren, Jan 20, 2009.

1. aluren macrumors 65816

Has anybody with Appsniper encountered a popup window when running the app saying the following:

Warning

Appsniper has detected a low memory condition. Please quit the App and restart your device.

It's weird that only Appsniper can detect and warn you that your iPhone has low memory while no other apps can. Also, I have the Free Memory app and when I check my memory right after that pop up, it shows that I have well over 20mb free. So I'm wondering if this is an Appsniper error, or if Free Memory is lying... Anybody has any info on this?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

The Chronicles of Inotia (action RPG game) ran also the same thing, and yes it also warned me about it with a huge red message.

That's quite an interesting find though.

3. rendez2k macrumors 6502

rendez2k

Exact same issue here! Unless the memory appsniper is measuring is not the same type of memory Free Memory is measuring?

4. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

must admit, it's been p'ing me off getting this message so I stopped using the app. There's nothing specific I wanted to keep an eye on at the moment. As an interesting side effect, my backup times have shortened considerably since removing it.

5. outz macrumors 6502

i disabled images within the app and never seem to have a memory issue.

6. aerospace macrumors 6502a

One of the options when you install your phone is to send apple a log of your error messages. So by removing the app you no longer get the error messages and hence your backup is quicker.

7. icedmocha macrumors regular

I get the same. I have plenty of space left, 7gb iirc.

8. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Interesting. Is that user configerable retrospectively?

9. aluren thread starter macrumors 65816

nice to know. so looks this low memory warning is by the iphone and not the apps itself. i initially thought it was an appsniper bug. does your chronicles of inotia warn you of low memory everytime you play it? because it pops up everytime for appsniper...

10. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

I've never had it for Chronicles but everytime for AppSniper (since upgrade) I've turned pics off to see if that makes any difference.

11. aluren thread starter macrumors 65816

ok i will try that. but it seems odd because the app store on the iphone loads pics just the same way and it never gave me a low memory warning...

12. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

No it doesn't pop up everytime, it pops up when you play a little quite long.

13. Manta Research macrumors newbie

Sorry this is an AppSniper specific issue where it's getting notifications from the OS for low memory and bringing up the warning message. We've made changes to fix this problem and hope to submit in the next day or two.

14. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Glad to hear it. I love the app, but it gets old having to deal with that message all the time.

15. aluren thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the update! other than that minor hiccup, your app is still awesome!

16. porkchopbone macrumors member

glad to see the issue is an appsniper issue & not a problem with my phone. Thanks for looking to resolve the issue so quickly Manta. Keep up the great work over there!

17. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Good news, thanks.