Appstore killer App

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by javadh, Jun 1, 2008.

1. javadh macrumors member

If there was an App in the Appstore that you would certainly buy what would that App be?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'd personally like to see a mobile version of the iWork suite, but that seems like quite a long shot.

3. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

I would like to see a video camera app or a firefox mobile browser

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

NetNews Wire...

The online version is ok, but a native app will be much better!

5. neven macrumors 6502a

Video functionality isn't currently supported in the SDK. The camera is capable of it so there are Installer apps that do it, but apps created using the SDK (and approved for the App Store) can't access the camera directly - they can only have the user pick or take a photo.

Firefox, and indeed all browsers, are not allowed. The terms of the SDK (and the App Store) state that apps can't run embedded interpreted or compiled code.

I'm looking forward to a great RSS reader and Twitterrific for iPhone. A Flickr client would come in handy - the website is a pain in Safari Touch.

6. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

That's a good one. I also second a Flickr app.

Can copy/paste be done through the SDK? If so, then I guess that'd be a good app though I'm kind of meh about possibly paying for something that should be standard.

7. neven macrumors 6502a

An app could certainly implement its own clipboard controls. However, apps developed with the SDK are sandboxed and independent; they can only interact with the other apps through specific interfaces (Contact Picker, Image Picker, etc.) so they can't change the behavior of other apps (like adding copy+paste to Mail, for instance).

SDK apps can't tweak other apps, change system settings, change the iPhone skin, etc. They're safely locked away from the rest of the iPhone.

8. cis4life macrumors regular

9. alecapple macrumors regular

i would like to see an app, maybe facebook, or flickr, that allows you to upload photos directly from your iphone to an internet source. Maybe A limewire app, although i am positive apple would have nothing to do with that.

10. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Apple could surely make a video recording app, but im guessing it won't be for the 1st gen iPhone.

11. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

second that!

12. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

A note taking app that supports a bluetooth keyboard.

13. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

14. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

You can simple upload to facebook by emailing facebook the pic (no tagging, title, etc. though).

But as for facebook specfically...I can pretty much guarantee you there's going to be a facebook app ;).

15. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I like brick breaker, but don't know how it'd play on a touch screen. Trillian Astra is something I'd go for.

16. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

17. jmadlena Guest

I would love some sort of extension of Delicious Library 2. You can already export your library to iPhone or iPod touch, but I would like to see the iPhone turned into a scanning device, so I wouldn't have to buy a bluetooth scanner. Maybe make a wishlist when you are out and about, or use it to snap pictures of possible gifts for friends.

Also, it could be a quick way to check Amazon to see if something is cheaper. See a book in Borders, scan it, look up the price and order from the store. You could always just type it in Amazon, but Wil Shipley always finds a way to make things way cooler.

In case you couldn't tell, I am in love with DL2.

18. neven macrumors 6502a

Delicious Monster seems to be a dead operation at this point, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Maybe in 6-7 years.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A nifty frontend for iPlayer, at a pinch give it the ability to download videos for later viewing.

20. jmadlena Guest

Delicious Library 2 just came out the other day. Yes, it was delayed a long long time, but IIRC it is pretty much Wil Shipley doing it all on his own now. Apple keeps hiring all of his developers out from under him.

He is also working on Golden%Braeburn. He keeps busy.

21. neven macrumors 6502a

I'm not saying he doesn't have an excuse or two. I'm saying he shipped a 2.0 product very much unlike the Photoshop mock-ups he paraded more than a year ago; he announced it through a short blog post; he hasn't given the website anything beyond a brief, marginal update; and he hasn't replied to any tech support emails I've sent.

So I kind of don't see him getting into further DL development any time soon.

22. jmadlena Guest

Ah. I can sympathize with your situation. I follow him on twitter and he always seems to be busy doing something. It is a lot for one guy to handle (that's an understatement).

I checked the company section of Delicious Monster's site just to see who is helping him out; it is only him (and two secretaries). I think the two other developers left DM while working on DL2, so that pushed him to delay it (and cut features, most likely).

I'd say he will get to the emails eventually. DL is very popular, so I am sure he is getting tons of feedback and bug reports.

But I do agree that it will be awhile until we see any big development. He deserves the break. :)

23. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Odd thing is - I can't figure out why. Looks like it just does what I can do myself already with a "Brain" interfaced with the classic "Mk.1 Eyeballs".

24. jmadlena Guest

Well, you can't do everything DL can, but I know what you are saying. Some of us or slightly obsessive-compulsive and like to over organize our libraries. Also, there are some pretty cool export and sharing features.

It's one of those that is more than the sum of its parts.