AppStore Review Sort Order

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Liam Steven, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Liam Steven macrumors regular

Does anyone know why reviews are dated in a random order?

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Cause IOS does not know how to make their store as nice as Android. Seriously this has annoyed me since day 1!

3. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

I remember the app store had review ordered from newest to oldest.
    Now is the other way around. It's oldest to newest. So if I want to see the newest comments then I have to scroll down.and imagine if it's a popular game such as angry birds? Yeah you won't get to the newest comment for awhile

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm not a big fan of user reviews on the Appstore.

It's difficult to gauge a fair review because a lot of people give apps low ratings because it crashes/freezes on their device and may not on yours.

Other times the app may be great but an issue with iOS may cause it to not perform properly. (Almost every 3rd party keyboard has low ratings because users think the problem is the app and not the Apple keyboard API).

5. Liam Steven thread starter macrumors regular

I sent an email to Tim Cook and here is the response I got:

Hello Liam,

I was escalated your email regarding App Store Reviews. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us. Currently, App Store reviews on an iOS device are sorted by "Most Helpful”. At this time, there is no way a user to change this setting.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us and providing your feedback. We appreciate when our customers provide feedback on the user experience.

Best regards,
    Dave

Subject: App Store not in order
    Date: December 30, 2014 at 5:22:59 PM GMT-7
    Cc: cue@apple.com
    To: tcook@apple.com

Hi Tim

Apple are doing a great job! I'm loving my new iPhone 6.

Please ask your team to fix the App Store reviews as they are not in date order.

Keep up the good work!

Many thanks
    Liam

Sent from my iPhone

6. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Thats why its really nice that in Google Play you can sort by device.

I love IOS but their store is so dreadful compared to Play

----------

This is really funny because most the time when I am reading reviews for Itunes (music) albums. I see reviews of people only reviewing the first single rather then waiting for the whole album to be release. How is this most helpful?

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

There aren't enough iPhone models to justify that I don't think.

8. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

why would you need many?

9. pacorob, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

I also find it a bit odd that the reviews which I'm seeing on my iPhone 4S running 7.1.2 to show from old to new if it regards 'Recent version' of the app. But there are a lot of apps which don't show anything here (if it's just updated or doesn't have any reviews yet). When you then choose for 'All versions' then it's a mix of old/new reviews and no option to sort on date (new to old would be nice) or rating for example.

I did notice that this feature is available for both 'Recent version' and 'All versions' above the reviews. The options are to sort on: most recent, most critical, most positve, most useful on my iPad mini 2 running 8.1.1 so is this not available on iPhones running a recent iOS8 version?

10. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

So ok, the options to sort by most recent, most critical, most positive, and most useful is on ipad only. For iPhone, sorting by most useful is the default and only option. These options seem like an easy setting Apple could switch on for the iPhone whenever they want.

11. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

That's pretty odd that those options are not available on iPhone. I was thinking it was available since iOS8 on iPhone too.

I did notice that when you search when the 'Updates' part of the App Store is selected that I won't get any options to sort. It's only able to sort when you select one of the other options (e.g. Search, Featured, Charts).