AppStore update not compatible with Firmware

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tcgjeukens, Oct 27, 2008.

1. tcgjeukens macrumors regular

tcgjeukens

I'm running my iPhone on firmware 2.0.1 and have no intention on upgrading.
    App Store is showing 2 updates of installed applications.
    The update text says that the update only works on firmware 2.1.

Q1: How do I remove the red dot notification on the App Store icon (since I will not update)
    Q2: How do I configure App Store such that it only notifies me of updates that are compatble with my firmware level?
    Q3: How do I reverse an erroneous update-click I made in iTunes. In iTunes I pressed the update button for one of the 2 apps. I did something. When syncing with my iPhone the App is unusable. Apparrently iTunes does not warn if the App is not compatible with firmware!. I thus want to revert this app to the 2.0 version.

Regards,
    Coen

2. AMcBroom81 macrumors regular

AMcBroom81

The quick and simple answer is..... you can't

once you update an app, that version of the app is the only one you can get.
    If you have an app that will only work with the current firmware. the only choice is to update.

The only way to get the update notifications off your screen is to either update them, or delete the app off your phone.

The last option which you will not do according to your post is update to the current version of iphone software.

Can I ask why you are not updating your Firmware.

Drew

3. tcgjeukens thread starter macrumors regular

tcgjeukens

Drew,

A clear but disappointing answer.

I am one of those early adopters in the Netherlands that could not wait till the official lauch of the iPhone.
    I bought my 1st gen phone at a regular phone-shop under the explicit condition: "do not update the firmware". :D

Taking a more principal stand: I never update my SW unless there a real need to do so from MY side and not so much from supllier/ developer side.
    The sheer amount of updates is overwhelming.

If it's not broken, don't fix it!

Coen

4. mlauber macrumors newbie

Upgrade!

I don't want to tell you what to do with your phone. That said, you need to upgrade your firmware, you will get far better service and battery life. Also you'll be able to get all the new apps that are available.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If it's seeing the red dot that bothers you, my suggestion would be to simply put the App Store icon on page two or whatever your last page is. I put mine there, so that I don't really see it everytime I open my phone (since it's rarely used -- and I keep my most frequently used apps or apps that I'd need to use quickly like a voice recorder, on the first page, and I put my games and utilities on the second page.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well, 2.02 and 2.1 neither of which update the baseband (where the unlocking has been done). I unlocked with 1.1.4 when I got it and had to unlocked at 2.0 but I am on 2.1 now without the need to unlock again.