Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alione2112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
tabriz - iran
Hi
In my appstore updates page when i click to update some app ot redirect to open it
Whats the problem any one can help me :/
Ios 7.0.4 and jail

Pic form update page :
340ab59f3acd7c60daf0cc65311145e5.jpg

Thx

HKeleher

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
I'm having the exact same problem on my iPhone 5s, iPad mini (both are jailbroken) and on a non-jailbroken iPad4. The Update All is not clickable (like there are no actual updates) and when I click on the individual app update button it opens the app instead of updating them. This started yesterday afternoon for me. The iPhone and iPad mini are on 7.0.4 and 7.0.6 respectively and the iPad 4 is on 7.0.

Note, we have two iPhone 6's running 8.0.2 and they update fine. It's not a space issue and restrictions are not applied (if either are your case then try fixing those first.)

I've tried the following to no avail:

• Manually close the App Store and reopen.
  • Attempt update over LTE rather than WiFi.
  • Reboot device.
  • Shutdown device.
  • Reset (hold home and power button until powered off.)
  • Sign Out Apple ID and sign back in.
  • Sign Out Apple ID, reboot and sign back in.
  • Reboot my router.
  • Reboot my modem.
  • Sacrifice a live chicken (no, not really.)

What actually works but doesn't seem to make a lot of sense...

Search for the app that needs to be updated and open the description. Press Update which prompts you for your App Store password... for each app... then that individual app updates (not so bad with Touch ID but still a bit strange.) Not too tough a work around and works until we figure out what's going on unless you have a lot of updates.

It seems to me that more and more people are having this issue which just started up yesterday or Friday. Since it's not just me and it's happening to jailbroken and non-jailbroken devices it appears that the problem is with the App Store and not us... or... randomly affecting certain folks, locations or iOS versions.

Anyone not having this issue?

Gigitt

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
Same thing is happening to me.

I downloaded an Update for an Apple App
now:
Updating apps has failed.
pressing Update button launches the app instead.

I have sort of found a workaround but it is hit and miss whether the app updates: From the App Store Updates tab > Click on the app to see the full app details page, then click update button.

I also tried a few things before finding this is affecting more than me.
shutdown and restart iphone
reset all settings.
reset network settings

Well now many things are not working for me - notably clicking on a link in an email does not launch Safari!.
Trying to Join works WPA2 Enterprise WiFi network also fails!

Not happy JAN!

Waiting for a fix!

Might have to restore from a backup as my iPhone is pretty useless now!

iPhone 4s 7.0.6 JB

Last edited:

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I am also having the exact same issue since last Friday or so (I looked and some updates are showing as completed on 10-9) This is on an iPad Air on 7.0.6 jailbroken.

I have double tapped and closed the App store instance and rebooted both by shutdown and forced with no help. I figured maybe it would correct itself when more updates came through, but it didn't.

HKeleher

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Have you tried uninstalling/disabling any tweaks you have tweaks to see if any of them might be affecting things?

As noted in my first post I'm seeing this occur on a non-jailbroken iPad 4. It's not a jailbreak issue but something else.

HKeleher

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Hard reset didn't do anything for me but you hold the power and home button until the device turns off then you power it back on.

I've also noticed that if I have an app that I paid for and use the work around to update it the app store tries to make me pay for it again (AVPlayerHD.)

:(

budmonster

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I removed all the apps that said UPDATE. I then logged out of the App Store, then did a Hard Reset. I then logged back into the App Store, I downloaded YouTube, for example and when it finished installing it still said UPDATE?

Oh, and now some apps still show the the cloud with arrow(download) even though the app is already installed.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    135.6 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

HKeleher

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Yeah... this is apparently only hitting a small portion of people or we'd be hearing a lot more static. Seems like for those select few perhaps upgrading to iOS 8 may be the only course of action. Not a pleasant choice for jailbreakers but let's see what happens when iOS 8.1 is released on Monday.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
When I noticed the issue, I thought about the fact that even if you called or went to the genius bar, they would at the least tell you to restore the OS or upgrade. I am jailbroken and would prefer not to do that, though I have considered just saying screw it and going to iOS 8.1 since I have an iPhone 6 now. I will miss a few tweaks but the asinine 9 icon folder view on the iPad is probably my biggest issue with it at this point. At least they have the scrolling view now which is something and I would get the benefits of iOS 8 with iCloud Drive, Continuity, etc.

HKeleher

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. New iPhone 6 but iPad mini is still 7.x jailbroken. I don't want to upgrade but may have no choice so at least I can go iCloud Drive.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
SO, I tried to sync to iTunes on my Mac Mini to see if it would do anything and it does not upgrade the Apps. It seems to hang up on preparing apps for sync and then eventually just moves on to the next step without updating them.

budmonster

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
From another forum:

This is a Appstore "Update" section bug and not our (users) problem so there is nothing we can do to fix it. Also for some reason only affected iOS versions are 7.0-7.0.6 since the 8th of October!

This sucks :(

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
So, I set the iPad to automatically install updates and it seems to be updating them now. The updates still have the word Update beside them in the list and it is not showing the version number, but the few apps that mention the version number in the comments and that also have a way to check the version number seem to match.

I don't; really love the idea of auto updates as I usually let them sit for a couple of days to see if anything blows up, but it gives me a way to at least get updates until they get the 8.1 Jailbreak to a workable state.

This is a weird one.

HKeleher

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Good find! Yeah, that works and certainly allows me to get around the asking for my credit card on paid apps. I'll be upgrading eventually... once the iOS 8 jailbreak is ready for prime time.

;)

HKeleher

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
For those of you that haven't upgraded to iOS 8 yet and still experiencing this issue the following was posted over on Reddit.com today:

Easy fix for not being able to update apps through AppStore. (self.jailbreak)

1. If you have issues where Update button opens the app.
  2. If after syncing through iTunes still shows updates available and icon switches between Update ---> Open.
Resolution: Switch your system language, then change it back. Should restore functionality.​

There's more information in the comments just in case you may need more assistance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.