Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reppindaburghh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2010
Wow, you guys are touchy. While this post had nothing to do with piracy I will edit it (No option to delete it?) and carry on.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Isn't Install0us for pirating apps? If so, you're on the wrong forum.

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
Actually I am trying to download free apps via Install0us, not paid apps. (Free as in they are also free in the app store.)

Just out of curiousity- why don't you get them from the app store then? (Also, based on the other posts I've seen here today, appsync is not working for anyone on 3.1.3 yet)

Reppindaburghh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2010
Just out of curiousity- why don't you get them from the app store then? (Also, based on the other posts I've seen here today, appsync is not working for anyone on 3.1.3 yet)

I will I just wanted to make sure my jailbreak worked thoroughly and figured downloading an app that is free in the app store through Install0us and making sure it worked properly was a good way to make sure my jailbreak was fully successfull. Nowhere in any of my posts do you see me mention anything about piracy, I did not rip anybody off by downloading an already free app through another source.

Thanks anyway, i'll delete the post.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I will I just wanted to make sure my jailbreak worked thoroughly and figured downloading an app that is free in the app store through Install0us and making sure it worked properly was a good way to make sure my jailbreak was fully successfull. Nowhere in any of my posts do you see me mention anything about piracy, I did not rip anybody off by downloading an already free app through another source.

Isn't install0us a jailbreak app anyway? So the fact that it runs at all should be enough. :p

Or if you have Cydia and you can run it then you'll know.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

Boy, what a line of .......

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

LOL good one

Why not just install a free app?

If you dont want to pirate (which you clearly do) you wouldnt have Installous. :rolleyes:
Isn't install0us a jailbreak app anyway? So the fact that it runs at all should be enough. :p

Or if you have Cydia and you can run it then you'll know.

The OP is trying to take us for fools

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I will I just wanted to make sure my jailbreak worked thoroughly and figured downloading an app that is free in the app store through Install0us and making sure it worked properly was a good way to make sure my jailbreak was fully successfull.
Why not download a free non-app store application to test it out?

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008

Yeah, because there are no free apps on Cydia. What a load.

Mike777

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
I first thought these forums would be allowing scum like that to thrive and be guided to piracy, but after reading the responses above, my respect for macrumors has soared!

Good, I'm glad we can have a culture of where jailbreaking is acceptable but piracy is completely unacceptable!

Pirates do nothing but ruin the party for thousands of developers breaking a sweat over their hard-crafted apps.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I first thought these forums would be allowing scum like that to thrive and be guided to piracy, but after reading the responses above, my respect for macrumors has soared!

Good, I'm glad we can have a culture of where jailbreaking is acceptable but piracy is completely unacceptable!

Pirates do nothing but ruin the party for thousands of developers breaking a sweat over their hard-crafted apps.

The community does a pretty decent job of policing its own. When that fails, the mods are pretty good at picking up the remainder. It's what makes this forum palatable. Some of the other forums that don't have this built in are repulsive.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
If you guys are outraged, just report the posts; all this tsk-tsking brings nothing to the table. It's not like these posts are going to stop soon.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
If you guys are outraged, just report the posts; all this tsk-tsking brings nothing to the table. It's not like these posts are going to stop soon.

Actually you are wrong. Had you been a member here for a while longer, you would have seen many such posters and threads of this type go "poof".

And we have has some classic ones get zapped. Always good for a smile when a "pirate goes overboard".

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I don't doubt they'll get zapped eventually, my point was that for now all you're doing is bumping them endlessly with the pitchfork-and-torch waving. More than once today I've seen you guys still going at it after the OP is long gone.

*shrug* Nice stab at my join date though. :)

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Though appsync and Instalous are used to instal pirated apps, they can be used for legal purposes as well. I downgraded my original iPhone to 2.2.1 because of one app that Apple turned down a 3.0 upgrade for. As you know, there are now tons of apps that only work on 3.1.2 or higher. I used installous to get those old versions of apps that I purchased way back when they worked on 2.2.1. I see nothing wrong with this. same can be done with free apps.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

No stab intended. Join dates are in plain view, no reason whatsoever to repeat it. Sorry you took it that way.

And as we said, most of us are pretty passionate about paying developers for their work product. I am not ashamed nor timid about responding to those who take.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I don't doubt they'll get zapped eventually, my point was that for now all you're doing is bumping them endlessly with the pitchfork-and-torch waving. More than once today I've seen you guys still going at it after the OP is long gone.

:eek: 19 posts a day!!! Wow. :) I was like, March? But he has an Avatar... Welcome anyway. :)

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
:eek: 19 posts a day!!! Wow. :) I was like, March? But he has an Avatar... Welcome anyway. :)

I'm a she, and yeah, I've been a little over-active due to iPad hysteria. :) (Actually, it's extremely unusual for me to hang around a particular forum this long--I have a lot of different interests. I'm semi-new to Apple products and culture, though, and there's a lot to absorb.)

I try not to post unless I have something useful to add or ask, but I am occasionally prone to forum policing (it's a nasty habit but one that is hard to break), and I type fast. :)

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I'm a she, and yeah, I've been a little over-active due to iPad hysteria. :) (Actually, it's extremely unusual for me to hang around a particular forum this long--I have a lot of different interests. I'm semi-new to Apple products and culture, though, and there's a lot to absorb.)

I try not to post unless I have something useful to add or ask, but I am occasionally prone to forum policing (it's a nasty habit but one that is hard to break), and I type fast. :)

That's how I started, but when the iPhone 3G was being released. It's a very active forum so I've stayed a part of it unlike most other forums I join.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.