AppZapper vs. AppDelete

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WinkWink726, Dec 31, 2008.

1. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

Can anyone speak from experience on which of the two is better?

By better I'm grading this on a sliding idiot scale, er.... whichever a trained monkey can figure out?
    I'm looking for whichever one is most cut and dry ;)

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Can't speak for either of those, but AppCleaner is idiot-proof. It must be, I use it. ::)

mt

3. dnguyen macrumors regular

i use zapper, all you do is drag the app into app zapper and it does the rest

4. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Same here. Then, you just empty the trash and you're done. If you can't figure it out, there's something horribly wrong with you lol.

5. WinkWink726 thread starter macrumors regular

WinkWink726

lol! alright you guys!
    Thanks for the imput!
    I'll just download the Zapper!
    Thanks again for the help... I think i can manage to drag/drop!

6. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

I tried both about three weeks ago, and ended up buying ($5) AppDelete. Works great.

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

8. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

AppCleaner is by far the best. Go into preferences and activate SmartDelete so that it is integrated into the default system trash.

9. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Thanks for the pointer to SmartDelete. I'd missed that.

10. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I missed that too. In order for this to work, I assume you have to have AppCleaner running? If that's the case, you still have 2 trash cans on your dock. It would be nice if I could get by with just the system trash can and have AppCleaner run in the background and not take up dock space.

11. poolvibe macrumors newbie

poolvibe

12. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

AppCleaner does not have to be running. Once SmartDelete is activated, a very resource friendly helper program is turned on (it runs in the background) which monitors the trash for apps. When an app is put into the trash, the helper program turns on AppCleaner. Then AppCleaner shows you a list of files associated with the App and asks if you want them moved to the trash. After you pick what you want to do, the helper program closes AppCleaner (AppCleaner's icon never appears in the dock during this process). The app and all of its associated files will now be in the default system trash.

13. erifneerg macrumors member

I agree that AppCleaner is great. It's free and SmartDelete is great.

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

AppCleaner has a better and simpler GUI imho. AppZapper is only cool with the "ZAP!" sound. They both do the same thing.

15. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

The ZAP sound is what sold me. I love that. I even turn the volume up in anticipation of removing a program!:D

16. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I use something different which might be overkill. But I have Forklift running for the times I want to uninstall an app and Hazel to monitor my Trash. I might just consider using AppCleaner with SmartDelete, good tip. Thanks guys.

To the OP - of the the two i've only ever tried AppZapper which works great. Costs a little to register though and has not been updated since forever it seems.