April 2005 PowerMac G5 RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AppleFanaddict, Mar 4, 2014.

1. AppleFanaddict macrumors newbie

so i just bought a powermac g5 for 90 dollars shipped on ebay. the ad says its fully functional and that it had a 30 day warranty. its got the 2.0 ghz dual processors. and it has 2 gb of ram. i want to upgrade this. I've done the research on crucial.com and this ram looks like it will work. just wanted to get another opinion before i buy thanks!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-4GB-4x1G...6298249?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item35d1fd3209

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

Crucial PC3200 RAM should work. I purchased generic PC3200 RAM, and tried to install it in 2GHz, and 2.7GHz G5s, and they faulted at POST (three flashes).

Do not buy PC2700 RAM for a 2GHz, or newer G5.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've had great success with generic ram in G5's of all speeds, not a single POST failure related to the ram sticks. The OP's eBay link isn't for generic ram, it's for HP branded ram.

5. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I have 2 of the Patriot DDR 400MHz 1GB sticks in mine, work awesome and look really cool! In the future I plan to get another pair so I can be at 4GB.

6. AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

I know, but it is a general caution. If buying generic RAM, be certain that you can refund it without a 'restocking fee'.

I have wasted money on it in the past, for late model G5s. (The 2003 and 2004 models are less problematic.) That said, I did buy PC3200, generic RAM, on eBay, from a trusted seller, and it caused a POST failure (three flashes).

I find that the 2.0GHz machines are slightly choosy, and that the 2.5/2.7GHz models are downright aristocratic. This was otherwise solid, non-high-density RAM. One other problem that I have found with some RAM, is that the wafer width on generic memory can be off of spec by 0.5mm to 1.0mm, which makes it awfully difficult to insert in the cramped space inside a G5.

For the OP, I can't suggest more strongly that you fill it to 8GB. The world of difference that it will give you, and the new avenues of use is truly remarkable. You can fill a G5 with 8GB of RAM for about £50/$75!

Compare that to the near £900 that I spent when my I bought my (new) Dual G5 in 2004 (about US$1,800!! at the time), and filled it to the maximum.

If you do any graphic design, or DTP layout, or any video work of any kind, it is a night and day difference.

Intell, and I have a disagreement on how selecting G5s are with RAM. I have had both good, and bad experiences with unbranded memory. The price difference for branded memory, with a warranty, that you can refund if you have any problems, is to me, worth the 10% margin.

Only two months ago, I purchased 16GB of unbranded RAM for the additional G5s that I purchased (both 2.7GHz systems), and all of it caused POST problems.

I don;t know if it is a latency, voltage, or other problem, but I suspect latency first, and voltage second. Some PC3200 RAM is 2.5VDC, and other RAM is 2.6VDC.

The MMC in the 2.7GHz systems may be far more fickle, and the 2GHz systems are certainly less forgiving than the 1.8GHz (PCI-33) systems.

The 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz PCI-33 systems use both a different Northbridge, and a different Southbridge, than the 2.GHz PCI-X/AGP systems, and I believe the Northbridge may have been changed between the 2GHz and 2.5GHz/2.7GHz models; whereas the late 2005, Quad-Core G5 systems, with PCIe use a different Southbridge than the 2.5/2.7GHz Dual-G5s (with PCIe), but I believe they retained the same Northbridge.

If this is all Greek to you, you may want to read about primary, multifunction controller ICs: Northbridge and Southbridge.

This is a very important topic for PPC architecture, that anyone in this forum will benefit from understanding. :)

I think that it's about time to start a thread on G5 upgrades...

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It could also be that you, AmestrisXServe, have rather poor luck or abilities in choosing generic ram as many others on this forum have had no problems with it and would suggest it. Don't forget, it rolls off the same factory line, it just lacks a fancy sticker.

8. AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

I never claimed to be a 'lucky' man, however, the particular memory that I ordered, and received, with the PC3200 specification, is non-HD; and each stick is identical to the others. All sixteen failed.

The only other possible explanation is that they were somehow damaged in transit, but not all memory ICs have the same timing, and I have encountered memory that simply will not work in these systems.

As to 'skill' in selecting generic RAM, I don't think that can even apply, given that you do not know who manufactured it, or often what components it uses, until you receive, and inspect it. Buying unbranded memory is a lottery in that regard, and you will not be able to reference a data sheet by any part number.

I would be happy to list the part numbers of the components on the DIMMs, should you be interested in a type of RAM that you wish to avoid.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's also highly possible that you got a batch of bad ram from your suppler. It's been known to happen.

10. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

G5 upgrades is a great topic, I think
    The later 2GHz (which would be the OPs early 2005) only have 4 slots. Will those slots read 2 GB sticks? I believe without that, you are limited to 4 GB max.

11. AmestrisXServe, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

That would be the 'Late 2004' model; and yes, to my knowledge you can use 2GB DIMMs.

The G5 thread is now over here.

Correction, the 2004 model spec sheet states that the maximum DIMM size is 1GB. It is the late 2005 model (PC4200) that can use 2GB DIMMs. I thought that the PC-3200 4-slot units could use the 400MHz 2GB DIMMs, but if they can, it isn't what is on my list.

12. AppleFanaddict thread starter macrumors newbie

well i ended up buying the sticks that i had posted and they didn't work. reinstalled the old ram and it booted right up. I'm sure i installed them right. and i tried two different configurations and neither worked. the machine already has 4gb of ram right now but i would like to max it out any suggestions?

13. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

But, you only have 4 slots, right?
    4 GB is maximum (4 x 1 GB)

14. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The memory you originally posted was ECC memory. You need non-ECC pc3200 400mhz low density memory.

15. AppleFanaddict thread starter macrumors newbie

16. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Ok then, you either don't have a 2.0GHz model or you don't have an Early 2005 model. I have the 2GHz Early 2005 model and I only have 4 slots (2 on the top, 2 on the bottom). The 2.3 and 2.7GHz early 2005 models had 8 slots. The 2.0GHz models with 8 slots are the original model, Early 2004 model, or the Dual Core Late-2005.

I'd enter your serial here and see what the build date is: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

17. repentix macrumors regular

isnt the 1.6 ghz model the only one with pci-33?My 2003 1.8ghz G5 has PCI-X slots

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The June 2004 and late 2004 1.8Ghz models and early 2005 2.0Ghz model all have 64-bit 33Mhz PCI slots.

19. repentix macrumors regular

20. AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

Models that have four sockets, with two separated by a gulf, and another two elsewhere, should also have pads for four additional sockets. These should be wired, and allow you to add four more sockets tot he system

Only the systems with the four slots grouped together can't be (easily) wired for more.