April 2010 Macbook Pro battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eddiewouldgo92, Apr 21, 2010.

1. eddiewouldgo92 macrumors newbie

Hi, just bought my MBP a few days ago and was curious as to whether having the power charger in 24/7 will affect battery life, as it does in other batteries. I read that lithium batteries have 'no memory' and you should deplete the battery every 30 cycles but nothing really answered my question.:apple:
    Cheers

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Long term yes, short term no. It's not bad to have it in the charger for a day or two, but you'll want to unplug it and give it some exercise at least every couple days. Key to the life of these batteries is to keep them working, now working is either charging or depleting.

3. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

No, the key to longlife with Li -chemistry batteries is no full charge or deep discharge and no high temperatures.

This is based on reading the available literature and my personal experiences (Thinkpad T60, 2.5 years old, 217 cycles, 95% full charge capacity)

4. eddiewouldgo92 thread starter macrumors newbie

So are you saying that you should never fully charge the laptop or keep it at full charge? Geez that gets annoying if you're sitting at a desk all day :(

5. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Annoying how?. Just unplug it. Problem solved.

6. eddiewouldgo92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am more saying that it is inconvenient to be worrying about power, rather than being able to plug in and not worry about the degradation of the battery, as I have heard that you do not have to worry about these things with lithium batteries....

7. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Correct. No worries. Just use it dude. It is all good. I have a 17 inch. I calibrated the battery and now I am all set.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just use your machine and don't worry about it. Fears about battery life are always overblown.

9. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

My thinkpad comes with a little utility that lets you set the charge level of the battery - I have it charge to 80% and stop there - during normal 'desktop' use. I only charge it to 95% when I know I will be going mobile - otherwise the 80%-20% discharge gives me about 3 hours - which is enough for some in-couch surfing etc.