Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ACiB708

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
If you have that computer and you can't get a game which lists nVidia 8600m as min spec to run smoothly, then there's something wrong with either your pc, or the game.

WonkyPanda

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
What are all of you guys using? I can't seem to get this thing running smooth.

Computer in sig.

The mac client is VERY new and VERY buggy. Especially with its memory management. On the windows side, i run native (1440) and mostly everything high

zorahk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
North Korea
If you have that computer and you can't get a game which lists nVidia 8600m as min spec to run smoothly, then there's something wrong with either your pc, or the game.

It's the game. They just released the mac client of a beta piece of software, I wasn't expecting it to work 100%. I just want to know what other people are running the (super) buggy mac client at so that I can play.

NOTORIOUS187

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2009
I think mine is set to medium and at 1680x1050 and it runs fine. Fps approx 35 during mid/end game.

nconnella

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
Windows bootcamp version runs way way way better. I couldn't run on medium without lagging in OSX and it runs smooth as a whistle on high in Windows. The only issue is a bug when exiting out of the game. It freezes and won't close. I have to tab out of it and force quit it. A lot of people are having that problem though. Fun game. On a 15" i7 512mb 4gb 5400rpm HD.

aNarwhal

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Hi! Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but this is going to be the first game I'm going to play on my macbook pro. I just switched over to Mac in June (best decision of my life? I think so) so I'm not too familiar with how they run games quite yet. Specs are below, how well do you think I'll run this game?

15" hi res glossy display 1440 x 900
Intel core i5 2.4 ghz
nvidia GeForce GT 330m 256mb
4 gigs RAM
320 gb 5400 rpm

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
Hi! Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but this is going to be the first game I'm going to play on my macbook pro. I just switched over to Mac in June (best decision of my life? I think so) so I'm not too familiar with how they run games quite yet. Specs are below, how well do you think I'll run this game?

Intel core i5 2.4 ghz
4 gigs RAM
320 gb 5400 rpm

I'll do just fine.

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010

Intel core i5 2.4 ghz
4 gigs RAM
320 gb 5400 rpm

I have the exact same system and I can tell you that over bootcamp (i used x86, x64 should be better since youll be able to utilize the 4gb of ram) this game runs flawlessly on medium/high settings *just make sure your shaders are set to medium this is where most of your fps will go!!*

PurpleShaman

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
im thinkin of getting the base 15'' model as well (i5) with 4GB of RAM. Should I go with the 64bit Win7? will that be laggy with only 4GB of RAM/will that affect gaming at all?

Also, does anyone know if the 512 version of the NVIDIA 330m makes that much of a difference on SC2 compared to the 256 version?

poohbear123

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Macbook Pro on released version?

Has anyone tried the released version of Starcraft 2 on the new macbooks? Seems like there were some problems running it on high with the Beta version. Any better luck with the released version?

porterusaf

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
Has anyone tried the released version of Starcraft 2 on the new macbooks? Seems like there were some problems running it on high with the Beta version. Any better luck with the released version?

I have the same computer the thread starter does and have SC2 so I can comment a bit. When playing you can not play everything on high, not even with the i7. It's a mix between medium and high and even then the FPS is low. I'm trying to run it in bootcamp tonight and have read that you can almost run everything on high then (with good FPS). For multiplayer (on mac os) the settings can be a bit higher, but for singleplayer you really should be around medium somewhere (again on mac side) because it is much more graphic intensive (lots of videos and stuff popping up, etc).

Garrus

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
with the core i7 i'm playing with those settings :
Resolution : 1680x1050
Texture : High
Shaders : Medium
Lightning : Low
Shadows : Medium
Terrain : Medium
Reflections : On
Effects : High
Post-P : Medium
Physics : High
Models : High
Unit : 3D
Movies : High

at this moment its the best balance i got between good graphics and smooth framerate in the most graphics intensive maps (to date) of the single player...

iamrawr

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
New Jersey
with the core i7 i'm playing with those settings :
Resolution : 1680x1050
Texture : High
Shaders : Medium
Lightning : Low
Shadows : Medium
Terrain : Medium
Reflections : On
Effects : High
Post-P : Medium
Physics : High
Models : High
Unit : 3D
Movies : High

at this moment its the best balance i got between good graphics and smooth framerate in the most graphics intensive maps (to date) of the single player...

how many fps do you get? and what's a good number of fps while playing RTS? 30+ frames?

Rithem

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
how many fps do you get? and what's a good number of fps while playing RTS? 30+ frames?

I screw around in the 40s when playing single. Anything below 60 is unacceptable in multiplayer/competitive play imo.

Pedromperez

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
Problem with my macbook?

My Macbook Core i5 nvidia 330m 256mb, runs the game at 26fps when playing in multiplayer, is this normal?, is my computer damaged?, how can I test the nvidia 330m?

Thank you

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
You'll always get lower frame rates in OSX. I recommend bootcamp for SC2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.