April 2010 MBP 13" Boot Camp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bperrella, Sep 4, 2011.

1. bperrella macrumors regular

Hey everyone--

I have a mid 2010 MBP 13" and I'm trying to install Windows 7 Professional x64 via Boot Camp. The install keeps freezing on "Completing Installation." When I reboot after the failed install it says there was an error during installation and I need to reinstall (even in safe mode). I have tried several discs and even tried installing from an ISO downloaded directly from Microsoft on a USB stick and they all do the exact same thing. Has anyone successfully installed this on their MBP? I have googled this issue but nobody seems to have a solution!

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

My 2008 MBP has windows 7 pro x64 running on it, it went without a hitch. I'm sorry I can't be of anymore help.

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

With those two prior post really helped a lot. Well suggest doing is reading an online guy in front to back and making sure you're doing everything the right way.

When I created my Boot Camp partition, at first I thought I was doing everything correctly but it ended up not working right. For some reason, didn't make the boot disk correctly, so after going through two DVDs, I finally got it working.

5. bperrella thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions... I've installed Boot Camp many times on different MacBooks, so I know that I am doing it correctly. I see that other users have had this exact problem, but I don't see the answer anywhere! I successfully got Vista Business x64 installed and tried to upgrade, but the upgrade fails at the same point as the clean install... I'm just about out of ideas.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

What are you using to install Windows 7? Is it a legit copy? Like, an actual licensed disk?

7. bperrella thread starter macrumors regular

It is a legit licensed copy downloaded from MSDN Academic Alliance. I also tried to download another retail ISO from another location. I know it isn't the installer though because i've used the exact same download on several PCs and my old MacBook as well.

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Is your MacBook up to date? I know that could have released several patches to help with People were still on Snow Leopard.

9. bperrella thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

On a 2010 MBP 13 inch?? I've done it on other MacBooks before but this one won't work!

10. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

i have a mid 2010 2.4C2D and have installed Win 7 Ultimate x64 through boot camp with no problems, on 10.6.7 and 10.6.8

11. greythorne macrumors regular

ok install win 7 after upgrading to lion and that's where you will the problem described by the OP!

I'm having the same problem as the OP and i believe it may be due to upgrading from lion. Prior to that i was running 10.6.8 and win 7......

12. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

13. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Just a thought, have you tried a 32 bit win7? I know it's not a 64 bit, but at least you'll have win7. I'm not too sure how else to help you...have you tried to install it with a clean snow leopard/lion hd?

14. bperrella thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, I reformatted the entire drive and started from scratch. Maybe I'll try to reinstall snow leopard and upgrade to lion after win7 is in place as another poster suggested, but I'm not sure why that would have any effect on the windows partition

15. bperrella thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't try 32 bit, but I also don't have a license for 32 bit (only have one for x64 professional) so even if it did work i wouldn't be able to use it!

16. velkr macrumors newbie

I had issues installing Bootcamp on my own 2010 MBP 13". This was my solution:

1. Bootcamp utility to partition / create disks.
    2. I used the Win 7 USB creator tool to make a USB flash drive for the install, disk should work fine though.
    3. Once in Windows setup, delete the Bootcamp partition, create a new one with NTFS.
    4. Before it reboots, grab a USB keyboard, and hook it up.
    5. Reboots back into Windows, and while it does Completing Installation, keep pressing ANY key on the USB keyboard every 1-2 seconds. It will take a while, but keep pressing, and eventually screen flickers a couple of times and it will install, just have to keep pressing a key on the usb keyboard.

I don't know why that works, but I read it on an Apple support discussion thread and hopefully it works for you.

Edit: I used Win 7 Pro X64 btw.

17. bperrella thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome thank you for your help. This got my Windows up and running.. makes no sense that this would work but it works!

18. nabisco macrumors newbie

I had this problem too on the same model of MBP, and your method worked, although I didn't have a USB keyboard so I used a Logitech wireless mouse and that seemed to do the trick.

However, I've now got no firewire drivers in Windows 7. My FW800 external disk doesn't wake up and there are no pop-up dialogs about searching for drivers. There's nothing in Device Manager about firewire either.

Have either of you had this problem? any solutions?

19. chaneycore macrumors newbie

I don't have a usb keyboard. Anyway to do this with the regular mbp keyboard?

20. chaneycore macrumors newbie

Found a keyboard and that seemed to carry it past the problem area. Weird, but okay lol