APS Backup Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TSparger, Jun 25, 2009.

1. TSparger macrumors member

I typically leave my mac pro turned on around the clock and everything is hooked up to an APS battery backup system. Over the last several months I've had a problem where I will go to the computer and it has shut down and the APS power is off. I then turn the APS back on and when I hit the power button on the computer it trips the APS off again. I have to do this several times and sometimes unplug/replug the APS before I can get it to hold power and allow the computer to turn on. Any ideas what may be causing this?

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Well, to me at least, you either are -
    A) Going to need a new APS unit as the battery is starting to go bad.
    B) putting too much load on the APS

There could be other options, but I can't really think of anything else ATM. It would also be helpful to provide a model of APS, age of model, and everything that is atached to the model, just to get a clearer idea.

3. TSparger thread starter macrumors member

The APS was purchased earlier this year and I'm only plugged into about half of the outlets on the unit. I have the CPU, monitor and one printer that is turned on at any given point in time.

4. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Well.. its the model of APS that is important. Do you know it? Have a picture?

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

It maters what is plugged into it. A computer, monitor and a printer should work fine but is there any other stuff plugged in :confused:

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Printers might even be a problem. Mine for example, can suck down just over 500W when being used. :eek: 20W on idle. BIG difference. ;)

To the OP, could you give the exact APC you're using, and the devices plugged in (model numbers may really help)?

7. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Hopefully it is just an inkjet printer. I'm pretty sure it is recommended to NOT plug laser printers into a UPS.

8. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

How about dot-matrix printers? Like anybody uses those anymore :p (Yes, I do)

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

For multi copy forms (yellow, gold, pink,...), they're still perfect. :) But for single sheet printing, not these days. ;) The faster performance, improved resolution, and quieter sound levels of laser has me spoiled. :p

10. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

ree-gak - reee-gak! Reeeeeeee-gak!

Stuck in my head :eek:

Well, for multi-sheet printing like how I do it, it rocks. Basically, a whole bunch of control numbers and information past that - easy to skim :D And yes, there is no way to save it as a .doc or otherwise (printing an updated database, FYI, on an OS probably older then I am)

EDIT- By the way, when I said
    It was in the context of power draw on the APC, lol.

11. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Some people like hearing tick, tick, tick, as they don't feel lonely :D