APT-X in next generation iOS devices

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wditters, Aug 25, 2012.

1. wditters, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

wditters macrumors member

I was wondering whether anyone would be able to tell whether Apple will include Bluetooth 4.0 + APT-X in their next generation iOS devices? While building on Bluetooth 4.0, APT-X offers a vast improvement in sound quality due to its increased audio bandwith.

I have been happily using a Sennheiser MM 550-X on my iPhone and iPad with the optional APT-X dongle for almost a year now. And since Apple already implemented APT-X in the new 2012 Macbook Air (this sounds awesome when paired with the MM 550-X !!) I would sincerly hope Apple would take the next step with the new iOS devices.

Anyone any clues?

2. irDigital0l Guest

wut...

Judging by leaks the speaker grills do seem to be bigger.

That all I know.

3. wditters, Aug 25, 2012

wditters thread starter macrumors member

For reference, the current Bluetooth audio protocol is AD2P, which does give quite a decent audio quality, but nowhere near the quality of a regular wired connection.

APT-X is a compression technology codec over Bluetooth and delivers roughly twice the bandwith than regular Bluetooth, resulting a HiFi signal that is equal to the competitive "Kleer" technology and by all means almost as good as a wired connection.

For me it's clear, if you go for wireless music reproduction, APT-X is an enhancement of the Bluetooth protocol that simply should not be overlooked for future iOS devices. I sincerely hope that Apple is of the same opinion. Having already integrated APT-X to the new gen Macbook Air is promising but by no means a guarantee .....

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

What is APT-X exactly? Why is it important? And you're talking about bluetooth... you mean that you're talking about wireless transfer of music? Or are you talking about the headphone jack?

5. wditters, Aug 25, 2012

wditters thread starter macrumors member

With the APT-X codec, the sound over wireless headphones has become virtually as good as when played over wired headphones.

The 2012 Gen Mac Mini, Mabook Air and Macbook Pro now have APT-X compression over Bluetooth implemented as a standard.

This opens a complete new range of possibilities with wireless speakers and headphones sounding as good as conventional wired designs.

See the following links:

APT-X on Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apt-X

Compatible devices:
    http://www.jessebandersen.com/2012/05/list-of-apt-x-compatible-devices.html

6. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Apt-x can only be implemented with Bluetooth 4.0, so does anyone know if it can be added with a software update to the iPhone 4S, since it uses Bluetooth 4.0? The htc one X I have has apt-x and it sound MUCH better with my stereo than the iPhone.

7. profets macrumors 68040

I guess with time we could see APT-X come to iOS. It did take a few years for A2DP to come with iOS 3 and I remember using it a few years earlier and hoping it would come to iOS at one point.

I would say the only worry being with AirPlay that Apple may not see a rush to implement APT-X on iOS, even though they aren't direct competitors.

8. wditters thread starter macrumors member

I'd say they're complimentary. APT-X would allow you to listen (wirelessly) to a player (iPhone/iPad/iPod/Mac) that would get its music delivered to it (wirelessly), but then at top quality :)

9. profets macrumors 68040

I agree, I would see them as complimentary.

What did you mean by listen wirelessly to a player (iDevice/Mac). Pushing music from something using APT-X (bluetooth) to an iPhone or Mac?

10. wditters thread starter macrumors member

Listening to high quality audio >320kbps on Sennheiser MM 550-X wireless headphones. These cans do wired and wireless Bluetooth 4.0 in APT-X quality ... amazing, way better than traditional Bluetooth 2.0 AD2P ...

Currently I use the Sennheiser BTD300i iphone dongle, but I would love to be able to ditch that dongle and connect to my iOS device directly in APT-X quality