Aptbackup messed up my phone!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Justinb51, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

:mad::mad:
    I had my iphone 4 jailbroke on 4.0 with jailbreakme. i decided to take the plunge today and update to 4.1 and use greenpois0n to re-jailbreak. i thought i would be smart and use aptbackup to back up all my cydia apps.

well the update to 4.1 went well, and the jailbreak with greenpois0n ran just as it was made to. when i was done all my apps from the app store were there and my phone was once again jailbroken. then i ran aptback up, and thats where it went south.

1) it did put all my jailbroken apps back on the phone, but the icons are white without the pictures. what i mean is insted of the bitesms pink icon i have a white blank icon. and that is how it is for all my jailbroken apps. i guess i am going to have to delete them all and reistall them if they have an icon.

2)when aptbackup was done all of my apps from the appstore (apple) are gone, just gone, not on the phone. so here in a second i am going to try to plug it in to itunes to get them back, i hope all my data is still there.

3)under 3gunrestrictor the facetime option is gone.

WTF i am so pissed right now. i will update when i get done on itunes.

**update.**
    I went on to itunes and put all my apps back on. then while it was putting them back in to folders, i realized that infinifolders was not installed. so i went on to cydia downloaded it. well the phone resprung, and when it was done all my stuff was back the way it was before aptback up screwed it up. except some of the data from inside the apps is gone. so at this point i dont know whats going on. (by the way i tried restarting the phone before but it didnt fix the problem)

Attached Files:

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I think AptBackup is just plain dangerous. I had to restore my iPhone 3GS after using it.

PkgBackup is the way to go.

S-

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Karma.....it will get you!

S-

4. Justinb51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Justinb51

i had not herd anything bad about it before. as a matter of fact i had read posts where people were suggesting using it.

5. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

I always recommending doing an SSH Backup with all of your phone's files to your computer...that way if something craps out you can just copy and replace the files on your phone. But pkgbackup is 1000000000 x better

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

facetime isn't working with current jailbreak unless you are using facebreak i think

have you tried disabling the theme and running no theme and seeing if the icons come back?

7. Justinb51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Justinb51

8. Justinb51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Justinb51

no i did not have a full theme running, just a few tweeks. i will give that a shot here when itunes is finished putting all my ***** back on my phone. ill let you know how it goes.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I can't imagine how long it will take someone to sync that puts 50G of music on their phone.

10. Justinb51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Justinb51

11. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.2.0.26.MB200.T-Mobile.en.US Flex/P021) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I'm more interested in that 50+GB iphone.

12. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Generally the ones recommending AptBackup are those too cheap to pay for PkgBackup.
    I tried AptBackup one time, had to restore and re-jailbreak right after using it, so PkgBackup is the way to go.

Just used it yesterday for my upgrade/jailbreak on 4.1 on iPhone 4 and as it always does, it worked perfectly !

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What's the point of this post?

I do the same. I'm not sure I'll be able to get everything to work, but at least I have it. I also use pkgbackup.

14. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Is this correct? I jb using GP and I can't seem to get facetime working. Is it true that I need to install facebreak to use it even if I'm only trying to do it over wifi?

15. Justinb51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Justinb51

I have 3gunrestrictor on my iPhone and tried to make a face time call today and it seemed to work, the other person did not answer the phone so i can't be sure, but it still tried to call.

16. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

is there any problems with pkgbackup? also does it restore sources?

17. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

None that I am aware of...and yes, it restores user added repos.

I just used it to restore my wife's iPhone 3GS after upgrading her to iOS 4.1. It worked flawlessly.

S-

18. Nevpaurion macrumors regular

I'm on a jailbroken iP4 limera1n 4.1 and I just got off facetime with someone.

19. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I realize this thread is a bit dated but as I had a very similar experience to the OP today and was able to get through it successfully, I thought I'd offer my $0.02 in case someone else has a similar problem.

I too was updating from iOS 4.01 jailbroken using Jailbreakme.com as I wanted to be able to use Facetime with another user on the new Mac beta so I ran Aptbackup, upgraded to 4.1, backed up my phone and then ran limera1n, all with no issues. Afterwards, following the directions provided on Aptbackup (and limited at that), I choose the restore option in the app and upon completion, had the exact same result as the OP.

I decided to try to restore from backup via iTunes but midway through the sync, I unlocked the device to check something and found that it killed the backup restore and left it only partially complete (same as OP). At this point, since it looked like the restore from backup was working and my JB was being maintained, I reran the restore from backup, let it run to completion without interruption and voila, fully restored JP iPhone running iOS 4.1 and now able to Facetime to the Mac application.

I'm not sure if this is how the process was supposed to play out as Aptbackup provides little info beyond 'hit this button to backup and hit this button afterward to restore' but end result works just fine, though my biteSMS icon is still white, :confused:.

20. Pine Pienaar macrumors newbie

Double Ha Ha Ha Ha!:D:D:D:D

These Jailbreak sagas are so funny!

Regards