Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Aqara HomeKit accessories are now available from the Apple Store Online in a range of European countries, the company has today announced.

aqara-coming-to-apple-stores.jpg

Aqara products will be available from the Apple Store Online in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK. To date, Aqara products have only been stocked in Apple Stores in Mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macao.

The product lineup for Apple Stores in Europe include the Hub M2, Aqara's latest smart home hub, and the Camera Hub G2H, which features HomeKit Secure Video support and home hub capability, as well as the company's Door and Window Sensor, Temperature and Humidity Sensor, and Vibration Sensor.

Aqara has become one of the most popular smart home brands among users with its repertoire of over 100 HomeKit-compatible accessories, including smart home hubs, home security cameras, sensors, wired and wireless smart switches, smart plugs, curtain and roller shade controllers, and smart door locks.

Aqara also today announced that it plans to bring its products to Apple Stores in South Korea, as well as expand its presence in Europe and other regions, in the coming months.

Update 07/28/21: Aqara has now announced that its products will be available via Amazon in the UK. The company plans to add Amazon France and Amazon Germany in the coming months. For 10 percent off Aqara purchases from its UK Amazon store, use the promo code AmazonUKPR. The offer is valid through July 30.

Article Link: Aqara HomeKit Accessories Now Available From Online Apple Store in Europe [Updated]

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
This just shows again how much I hate the Apple online store. I have no idea how to get to this category. Where is it hidden? How do I get to it? I literally had to Google Aqara + Apple to get to a direct landing page (same with getting to the AirTag page actually)
AirTag is easy since it is iPhone accessory you just access it through iPhone page.
AirTag .jpg

Reactions: alecgold

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
So at some point even your thread needs to hop over on wifi?! Or do you have a zigbee hub built in to your modem/router/wifiAP?

Edit: I can imagine these don't won't to thread because they only have a CR2 battery inside. For thread I think you need to have wifi inside. As it is they last for 2 years as it is now, if they need to connect to wifi they will not last a month on such a tiny battery.

But beside that, most things available don't do threads yet, so you're very limited to what you can use anyway. That's not just Aqara.

DjMilitary

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2020
You can use these with any zigbee hub you already have?!
I already have a hue hub, so these should be able to communicate through that one?
You won’t be able to add Aqara devices to 3rd party Zigbee hub. Only Aqara or Xiaomi getaway.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
So at some point even your thread needs to hop over on wifi?! Or do you have a zigbee hub built in to your modem/router/wifiAP?
Thread doesn't need hub and they don't need Wi-Fi either if I remember correctly. It's like a mesh network of its own. The more you have the better it, thread network, is.

"most things available don't do threads yet"

This is why we need to push for it.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
You won’t be able to add Aqara devices to 3rd party Zigbee hub. Only Aqara or Xiaomi getaway.
That sucks. I thought the point if Zigbee was inter-connectibility between zigbee devices from different brands?!
Thread doesn't need hub and they don't need Wi-Fi either if I remember correctly. It's like a mesh network of its own. The more you have the better it, thread network, is.

Even so, zigbee needs to be connected at some point to internet. And the only way is via wifi or ethernet.
Zigbee is nice between zigbee devices (making a nice mesh network, being low power yet decent distance etc etc) but still it needs to have wifi at some point. That means every thread device needs a wifi and that means power consumption will go up sky high. Or you need a hub that is mains powered, which is the usual solution.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
No. Thread doesn't need Zigbee. All it needs is HomePod mini or new Apple TV 4K.

Wrong. Thread use as little power as Bluetooth LE.
Reading up now. My confusion comes from a Zigbee and thread enabled sensor I had seen last. But thread seems to be a proprietary protocol. Which is nice if you have enough of them, but bad if you only have one of them and it's too far away from your Apple TV. (HomePod isn't available overhere yet).
I do like hue's that I have so far and expect them to last for a decade or so, but thread does seem to be the way forward.

But the fact that these are homekit does mean they have their security to at least a minimal level I guess?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
but thread does seem to be the way forward.

But the fact that these are homekit does mean they have their security to at least a minimal level I guess?
Exactly. Thread is communicating through HomeKit so it's all Apple.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
WTF Apple! What do Apple not understand - I do not want to give/provide details to a company @ their app to use it in HomeKit, I just want to buy a camera, scan it into the home app & be up & running.
Apple’s already solved this, but if manufactures don’t play ball (they want your deets) Apple should just go it alone, but can’t see that happening anytime soon!?

rellit

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2016
WTF Apple! What do Apple not understand - I do not want to give/provide details to a company @ their app to use it in HomeKit, I just want to buy a camera, scan it into the home app & be up & running.
Apple’s already solved this, but if manufactures don’t play ball (they want your deets) Apple should just go it alone, but can’t see that happening anytime soon!🤬
You can exactly do this with the G2H camera…

Reactions: johnscully

Tavicu

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
Romania
I don't use hub. Thread doesn't need hub and that's where HomeKit devices should go.
Hub is good! Otherwise every accessory you will get will connect to your wifi! And guess what your router will do when it will have ~50 devices connected at the same time :)

• Disagree
Reactions: dupezombie

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Hubs are better. Sure its another thing but the only problems I have with my 60+ HomeKit things is the ones without a hub. Hue is solid always. Smart switches sometimes drop out and I have to reconnect. Lifx stuff is finicky too. I prefer devices that have hubs. Less wifi things on my router I think 34 is already too much.

Reactions: kk200

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Hub is good! Otherwise every accessory you will get will connect to your wifi! And guess what your router will do when it will have ~50 devices connected at the same time :)
Thread doesn't connect through Wi-Fi. They connect through HomePod mini so in a sense you can say that HomePod mini is a hub but the point is you don't need 3rd party hub.
And didn't I already say that the more thread devices connected the better thread network will be? There is strength in number for thread network, not weakness. The more the merrier.

Reactions: ThatsME.mr

kk200

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2021

what is the battery life of a thread sensor (motion, window, temperatur, push button whatever)?

connectjunkie

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2021
Not true. You can use Aqara devices with many third party gateways. I have a number of leak sensors and a temp/humidity one attached to a Deconz gateway. You won’t get native HomeKit, but you can still get them into HomeKit via Homebridge or Home Assistant if you wanted to go that way.

Reactions: Preed08

connectjunkie

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2021
what is the battery life of a thread sensor (motion, window, temperatur, push button whatever)?
Unless I’ve missed announcements there are few sensors available yet (Eve Door and Window is one). Since both Zigbee and Thread run over the same radio layer (802.15.4) I’d expect similar battery life when thread sensors are more widely available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.