Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
If the rumor is correct then Apple will replace Aqua with Illuminous and hopefully unite the visual styles again in Leopard.

Apple Gazette has received a tip from an apple insider that the Mac OS Aqua User Interface will be replaced with a new UI named Illuminous.

The source goes on to say that we will see a demonstration of Illuminous at Macworld 2007.

The gensis for this rumor started earlier this year when Apple posted a position on Monster.com seeking a senior visual interface designer “to conceive, design and develop future enhancements to Aqua, the dynamic user interface for Mac OS X”.

This is the first time a name for the supposed Aqua replacement has been given.

What will Illuminous look like?

That’s anybody’s guess at this point, but we might be seeing some hints of what Illuminous holds in the recent release of iTunes.

We will keep you posted as more information becomes available.

Link

The first signs of this may even be included in the latest build:

Apple yesterday seeded a new version of Leopard (build 9A326) to internal Apple employees. This latest build is reported to have fixed bugs from the last build (9A303) such as Quicktime crashing, printing problems and issues with .Mac such as iDisk synching. Apple continues to gloss over the interface, refining it even more and there is an overly presence of black gloss.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Black Gloss sounds very stylish, but any black theme I've tried on ShapeShifter is unreadable in some respect. Not that Apple's theme would have that problem, of course, but other than buttons and scroll bars I can't imagine black being practical. But maybe they are the only things that will be black and everything else will remain silver/grayish.

amnesiak

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2006
black like vista taskbar

i dono..if it does have all the black gloss..then vista has it in their taskbar and that doesnt look too good..

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Hm. Of course, this is exciting news and I have faith in Apple's UI design team, but the "shiny black" look we've seen some small examples of (e.g. Leopard's Time Machine/Spotlight previews, Time Machine itself) didn't impress me. Too -- dare I say it -- Vista-y.

I, for one, was glad to see the UI go a little flatter, a little more subtle, a little less obviously glossy and highlight-y with the "unified" look. I like the "deep" 3D effects in some apps, but I'd like the basic OS X interface to stay easy on the eyes.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
id rather that OSX had Shapeshifter like editing capabilities built in.

Even crappy windows 3.1 had that, though there wasnt a single use for it besides adding to the horror.

Id like to be able to create my own stuff and edit the look of OSX, with the "consent" from Apple in that its not a 3rd party add on.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
id rather that OSX had Shapeshifter like editing capabilities built in.

Even crappy windows 3.1 had that, though there wasnt a single use for it besides adding to the horror.
I just had a flashback to the 'hotdog' theme :eek:

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I don't like the Aqua sliders, but the iTunes 7 one is no better.

In both cases too prominent. It's just a scroller, a background thing, and yet dominates the gui.
A mm or two wider would also be nice.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
i just want it all to look like Final Cut Pro and i would be pleased as punch.

Yeah, that'd be sweet.
I'm a little worried about the black gloss thing. I noticed it right away in the Time Machine previews. I'd hate to see this as a uniform element throughout everything.
Ah well -- it'll still look better than Vista.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Look at the Leopard preview, everthing is pretty dark. Look at the bars at the bottom, Time Machine or the general background for the icons of the previews.

Black all over the place. I sure hope it doesn't become too dark and I'd like to say I have faith in Apple but after the recent mess I am not too sure.

fugeelama

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2002
71602.this+thread+is+completely+useless%20without+images!!!.jpg

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
If the rumor is correct then Apple will replace Aqua with Illuminous and hopefully unite the visual styles again in Leopard.

Link

The first signs of this may even be included in the latest build:
Maybe I missed it when I went to these two links, but are there screenshots posted of this somewhere? I am not sure why I missed it, but it might have something to do with 4 hours of sleep each night for a week.:rolleyes:

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Look at the Leopard preview, everthing is pretty dark. Look at the bars at the bottom, Time Machine or the general background for the icons of the previews.

Black all over the place. I sure hope it doesn't become too dark and I'd like to say I have faith in Apple but after the recent mess I am not too sure.
good point, make me wonder if apple trying to cove up their cheap LCD's uneven brightness problem..:p

Am3822

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Groningen, The Netherlands
Well, let me echo the previous posters and hope that it won't look like the vista shiny black (I know it's not covered with gold or anything, but the word that comes to me is 'bling').

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Maybe I missed it when I went to these two links, but are there screenshots posted of this somewhere? I am not sure why I missed it, but it might have something to do with 4 hours of sleep each night for a week.:rolleyes:

No, no pics but as I said look at the Leopard preview page or iTunes. This might give us ideas. I agree though pics would be nice but as of yet there are none of the new 10.5 build.

good point, make me wonder if apple trying to cove up their cheap LCD's uneven brightness problem..:p

Hehe, that'd be one way. :D

Well, let me echo the previous posters and hope that it won't look like the vista shiny black (I know it's not covered with gold or anything, but the word that comes to me is 'bling').

The first thought that came to my mind when I saw the Vista toolbar was 'cheap'. It looks like cheap plastic. I'm not a real fan of iTunes' colors either but I have faith in Apple, or Steve for that matter, that in a new OS revision they actually get their act together and provide a gorgeous UI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.