Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
I went to Six Flags on Friday, but it poured the whole day so me and my friend spent a couple of hours inside the Arcade by the ferris wheel trying to win an iPod or PSP from these two machines that had two keys inside of them which were supposedly supposed to open the lock to the prize above. Around the parks there were more prizes such as a GameCube and a Xbox 360. We dumped about 50 bucks into both the iPod and PSP games trying all sorts of strategies. We got the key right on the drop box several times only for the rod that was pushing the key to stop. Then the bar conveniently placed right next to the drop box would move it back into the center of the rotating table. We even tried tipping the machine after being annoyed with it, but the machine was weighed down.

Anyone know if the game is possible to win?

I hate games that are unwinnable. URGH

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
You should know that most, if not all, physical arcade games (not video) are rigged to only pay out X times for Y times played. You're chances of winning big are basically crap.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
Something didn't go off in your mind after.. oh say the first $10 you blew on the game?

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
In theory. I've seen small prizes won. Larger prizes are smaller or heavier or both which makes it more difficult.

Its actually not a claw game. The Prize is above in a casing not related to the game. The case has a pad lock on it. The game is a rotating platform with 4 bars and a glass or plastic bubble over it. One bar for each player as multiple people can play at once. The keys to the pad lock circle around on the rotating platform and when you feel the time is right you press a button to make the bar come out and push the key which is on a petri dish into the drop hole. Once you do that, you can take the key out of the prize slot and unlock the prize from the casing. If you fail at getting the petri dish down the drop hole, but you get it very close to the hole, there is a bar right after the hole to level the dish back into the center of the game so that you are not able to win so easily just by playing two games.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Its actually not a claw game. The Prize is above in a casing not related to the game. The case has a pad lock on it. The game is a rotating platform with 4 bars and a glass or plastic bubble over it. One bar for each player as multiple people can play at once. The keys to the pad lock circle around on the rotating platform and when you feel the time is right you press a button to make the bar come out and push the key which is on a petri dish into the drop hole. Once you do that, you can take the key out of the prize slot and unlock the prize from the casing. If you fail at getting the petri dish down the drop hole, but you get it very close to the hole, there is a bar right after the hole to level the dish back into the center of the game so that you are not able to win so easily just by playing two games.

Right I've seen similar things with watches, coupons for tickets, Tokens, a coupon for a game console. The locked box is just a slight variation. Back in the day any "large" prize had to be redeemed at the counter.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Like QSwede said, these games are rigged to pay out once every x amount of times. There was a game similar to that at Universal in Orlando, and we spent about 20 bucks trying to win an Touch, to no avail. After searching online about the game, I found out that there was a switch inside that goes from once every 20 times, to once every 1000 times, something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.