Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonGarlick

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Hi, I'm trying to back up my copy of Closer using Mac the Ripper, but I keep getting the message 'This Disk is Protected by ARccOS'. I've tried to extract and rip the file using Handbrake, but the best result I can get cuts about 10 minutes off the end of the movie.

Does anyone know of any way of getting around this, so I can back up the movie? I've noticed an App called RipIt, which looks as though it may do it, but unfortunately, the system I'm using is only running OS X 10.4.11. RipIt requires 10.5.

Thanks for any help,
Simon

SimonGarlick

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Hi, I think I'm using version 3. Can't seem to see a version number under 'About MacTheRipper', but the version I'm using has the DVD splattered with blood as the Dock icon, which I think is version 3...

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Hi, I think I'm using version 3. Can't seem to see a version number under 'About MacTheRipper', but the version I'm using has the DVD splattered with blood as the Dock icon, which I think is version 3...

on the main MTR window, look down the bottom left of the window. it should say there.

another way to check is by going to the app via the Finder and "get info" on it. :)

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Have you tried FairMount? and then ripping the disc?

I've only used it once but it was when Handbrake was crap and kept crashing so I cant tell you if Fairmount is any good.

SimonGarlick

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Hi mate, I've downloaded Fairmount, though I'm not entirely sure what to do with it... Once the disk has mounted, is it just a case of dragging the VIDEO_TS file onto my desktop?

Thanks again...

cmcbridejr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
Hi mate, I've downloaded Fairmount, though I'm not entirely sure what to do with it... Once the disk has mounted, is it just a case of dragging the VIDEO_TS file onto my desktop?

Thanks again...

Yes.

It may not work with ARccOS and stall at bad sectors. This has happened to me on a few videos.

purd002

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
I used dvd43 and handbrake to encode Closer without any problems on my windows machine. I believe fairmout works the same way with on the fly decryption so it may work.

SimonGarlick

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Just using FairMount now, which has VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. Copying them across to my desktop may take a while though, as it's running quite slow... I'm up to 714 MB of 7.71 GB, with 3 hours remaining...

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Just using FairMount now, which has VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. Copying them across to my desktop may take a while though, as it's running quite slow... I'm up to 714 MB of 7.71 GB, with 3 hours remaining...

I didnt realise it was you who started the threat, I just automagically answered. Hehe.

Good luck with the rip. Theres nothing worse than waiting hours only for the rip to fail. I'm actually ripping Star Wars Episode 2 right now, however I'm using the new Handbrake (it doesnt crash like the last version). If MacTheRipper doesnt work try the new version of Handbrake (just make sure you have VLC installed as well).

SimonGarlick

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Alas, I'm only running on OS X 10.4.11 here, so no new HandBrake for me... Least I don't think so?!

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Alas, I'm only running on OS X 10.4.11 here, so no new HandBrake for me... Least I don't think so?!

Doesnt look that way I'm afraid. I do have to admit though if you are in a position to upgrade to 10.5 and subsequently 10.6 its well worth it. More and more apps are appearing as 64bit and they are noticeably quicker.

SimonGarlick

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
The other half just got a MacBook Pro, which is really tempting me to upgrade my G4 PowerMac into a shiny Intel equipped, 10.6 capable new Mac!

SimonGarlick

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2009
I was going to ask her if she'd be so kind to lend me her MacBook for a while, so I'll give it a shot.

On a bit of a side note, I'm also trying to back up The International, but whenever I launch Mac the Ripper, an indicator that's green at the time of startup goes red, then the application then unexpectedly quits. HandBrake also fails to produce a file when I've tried that too.

Although I've just used FairMount to copy the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files to my desktop. Does anyone know what I do next? I've tried to open them as a source in HandBrake, which I've had no luck with.

Thanks for any help...

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
MTR 4 is now in beta I believe. Have heard good things about it but not sure how to get it yet (same donation strategy as before?). RipDifferent may have more info.

cmcbridejr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
MTR 4 is now in beta I believe. Have heard good things about it but not sure how to get it yet (same donation strategy as before?). RipDifferent may have more info.

Are you sure you are not talking about MTR 3?

I never knew MTR 3 left beta. That would be a hell of a jump.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.