Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
just wondering how many people have shot there and what tips they had for shooting there cause i'm going in a couple of weeks

ryandask8s

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
A very nice park...

well when i went there i was using a Nikon D80 with a AF NIKKOR 14mm f/2.8D ED lens so with a wide angle lens i was able to capture a lot i thought my wide angle was a good choose for shooting full arcs to bad i don't have my camera and other computer right now or i might be able to show you

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
i'm still short a true wide angle lens. the 18-55mm is as close as it gets for me right now but i know i'll be shooting it to get some landscape shots

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I live about 3 hours outside Moab Utah where the park is located. I've been there a number of times and I'll tell you that it's going to be hot as hell there. Probably near 110 and dry as a bone, your kit lens will be fine, just get a few filters circular polarizer being the most important in my opinion.

More important than camera gear will be bringing along a way to keep yourself cool, and plenty of water. I'd get a brimmed hat, one of those scarves that you soak in water and wrap about your neck, sunglasses, sturdy shoes, and a camelback style hydration pack. You'll be glad you did, trust me!

You won't have to make too many tough hikes to get into most of the arches and scenery you've seen on postcards etc. Delicate arch takes about 20 minutes and none of it is difficult, others are about the same or easier.

Have fun and post some of the shots when you get back.

SLC

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
yeah i've been watching the weather and it has been over 100 steadily the past week so i know the hydration will be a big deal. i'm excited about going and will most certainly post when i get back.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
i plan on it. depending on what night we go there is supposed to be some meteor showers going on. so that will be awesome.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Everyone knows that first and last light are the best time for landscape photos, but the Moab area will bring a whole new meaning to that rule, trust me on that. All that red rock really glows in the early morning and late evening, plus the temperatures and bugs are a lot easier to handle then.

Also, be sure to check out Dead Horse Point state park, it's near Arches (maybe 40 minutes) and well worth the drive. It's like Utah's own miniature Grand Canyon.

SLC

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
just wondering how many people have shot there and what tips they had for shooting there cause i'm going in a couple of weeks

The most basic advice is to shoot when the light is right. Early morning around sun rise and around sunset. Try a polerizing filter but don't over do the effect. get a good tripod and use it. Remember the rule of thirds and watch edges for clipped off objects. Sorry for the generic advice but if you do this you will be ahead of 90% of the others

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Everyone knows that first and last light are the best time for landscape photos, but the Moab area will bring a whole new meaning to that rule, trust me on that. All that red rock really glows in the early morning and late evening, plus the temperatures and bugs are a lot easier to handle then.

Also, be sure to check out Dead Horse Point state park, it's near Arches (maybe 40 minutes) and well worth the drive. It's like Utah's own miniature Grand Canyon.

SLC

ends up arches campground is already booked up so we'll be staying at dead horse point and i plan to watch the meteor shower over the lookout after catching the sunset at delicate arch. then on our way out of town we're swinging over to gooseneck for the sunrise. i'm pretty stoked.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Well sounds like you're in for a killer trip then. I've never been to the gooseneck, but I've heard it's breathtaking. If you need another relatively nearby place to go, check out goblin valley state park, another breathtaking photo locale.

SLC

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

+1. Good way to beat the heat. Photos in the middle of the day are likely to be lacking. Suffer a bit, get up really early and into the park. Then stay until sunset or past. Figure out where the light will be coming from and use that to your advantage.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
definitely plan on getting to arches an hour and a half or so before sunset and exploring and then find where i want to set up for sunset. then get some rest. get up and get some awesome pictures of the meteor shower. get another hour or so of sleep and then head to gooseneck overlook and set up for the sunrise. can't wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.