ArchiCAD iMac Decision

Discussion in 'iMac' started by theosg, Oct 21, 2015.

1. theosg macrumors newbie

theosg

Need Therapy.
    We'll be using ArchiCAD 19... nothing else as demanding.

Mostly due to the thread about length of Build to Order process and delivery, I had to get ours placed.
    So I ordered without that satisfied feeling I usually have after a decision.
    The feeling I do have now seems more akin to combat fatigue.

Here's what we ended up ordering through the Apple Business Team:
    (They really are great helping us as a small business - ~10% discount basically equivalent to sales tax)

Qty 1
    27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
    • 4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
    • 8GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 4GB
    • 256GB Flash Storage
    • AMD Radeon R9 M390 with 2GB video memory
    $2,399.00 List

Qty 1
    • 256GB Flash Storage
    • AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB video memory
    $2,549.00 List

Qty 1
    • 512GB Flash Storage
    • AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB video memory
    $2,749.00 List

I almost added the 395X to the 3rd machine, but...
    I'll echo a comment made elsewhere: Apple just didn't provide enough info to sell me a 395X

So when I get these, I'll be able to shed more light on: m390 vs m395 and 256 SSD vs 512 SSD
    It seems to me that 395x will be well covered.
    I stopped considering the Fusion based on Archicad user reports of SSD speed improvement.
    and after I found the SATA iMac power/data cable on iFixit in case we want to add internal SATA SSD later.

As far as I'm concerned, my decision won't be final until delivery +14 days ish.
    Welcome any thoughts, comments, ridicule... Fire Away

2. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Should be great machines for that usage... as long as you don't do a ton of long (multi-hour) renderings. You might be a little short on RAM for larger projects, but that's easy enough to upgrade when needed.

I would have really liked to see the m395X compared, but not sure how much archicad really takes full advantage of GPU... it's still mostly a single-thread CPU driven software, so the top end i7 is the way to go there.

3. theosg thread starter macrumors newbie

theosg

Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, we're getting RAM elsewhere and will hit 16GB or 24GB right away and 32 later.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

And remember they now support up to 64GB if needed.

5. campyguy macrumors 68030

I'm in need of a workstations but also not in a rush - holding off until the iMac reflects the newer I/O ports is also a factor in my purchasing plans. We're also using ArchiCAD 19 on a few of last year's riMacs, settling on the top-end video card configuration and all 512GB SSDs.

My hesitation regarding the new iMac with the M395 is that it's a tweaked but reduced-clock-speed "update" of last year's M295X, and we found that the M295X chugged a bit more than I would have liked on a production machine - what I don't know is how much work went into improving the new driver as AMD/Apple has had a year to modify its graphic drivers (I haven't compared driver versions yet on our existing Macs yet - too busy...). Don't be too surprised to see some lag with that iMac...

My "hope" regarding that specific card is that I've read that Alienware will be installing a version of the card/chipset in one of its high-end laptops. If Alienware - nee, Dell - cranks out some drivers for this card maybe we'll see some love from Dell regarding their displays. But, yeah, I'm not holding my breath.