Architecture Question - plugins/extensions for iPad app

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by zeroskillz, Feb 24, 2011.

1. zeroskillz macrumors newbie

Howdy,
    I've done this in other languages (which will remain nameless), but am not exactly sure how to go about re-creating the concept for an iPad app.

What I'd like is a App that is capable of loading and running an external plug-in/extension.

Ideally I would have my parent app utilize in in-app store to add custom enhancements to the product, a-la-carte, if you will.

Part of the reason for this is to allow for additional function in the future that we don't know about yet, so including things in the app and 'activating' them isn't the solution.

What would be the route to go to achieve this? Does each plug-in need to be it's own app?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This is explicitly banned on the app store.

iOS Developer Agreement Quotes:

3. zeroskillz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah. I had an inkling there was some goofiness surrounding the concept.

I can run one app from another though, right? So having the 'plugin' as it's own app is theoretically a possibility, right? Albeit kind of clunky...

In this case, would going the route of a web-based app be better? And then simply create a shell to load and display the web-based content?

4. firewood macrumors 604

You can use downloadable Javascript plugins that run in a UIWebview, and call them from an Objective-C app. This is explicitly allowed in the SDK agreement.

Apple also has a WWDC 2010 video on data driven app design about how to use all kinds of other downloadable content (just not any executable code other than Javascript).

5. zeroskillz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks firewood, I'll look into the video. Otherwise, JS plugins may very well do the trick.