Architecture Student: What should I do? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajhop84, Oct 9, 2010.

1. ajhop84 macrumors newbie

Thinking about going with 15" MBP with i7, 2.66 GHz. upgrade to Hi-Res Antiglare. Then have a display (probably pick up a 24" LED on ebay) for work at home. I need portability, but good quality stuff. The question is WHEN??

I'm reading and thinking that a new model will come out soon, but will it be any better? This set up seems pretty solid to me. I need this ASAP, and don't want to wait 2 more months, to find out that there isn't a big change/upgrade. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Cheers.

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think this pretty much answers your question. If you need the computer, then get it. Dealing with the inconvenience of not having one probably won't be worth whatever minor advantage you can get from a potential update.

As for the update cycle, it seems Apple has been lengthening the time between updates. The last update was after 10 months, and the one before that was after 8 and a half months. If you really need the computer, you have to factor in whether you can way up to another 4 months (or longer).

If it isn't really a matter of urgency (as in it would be a minor gain over what you have now), then you can afford to wait.

3. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Is there anything the current model doesn't have that you'd like? There's not much in Intel's current offerings that would provide a huge update. Maybe there could be a graphics bump, but besides that, not much. To my knowledge, Apple rarely releases anything after October for the holiday season. So maybe something will come during this month, but it's really anybody's guess. Check out the Macbook Pro subforum for some more advice.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

If you need it now, get it now. There is always something new in the pipeline. Someone who seemed to know what they were talking about said that Apple doesn't update their stuff once we get close to holiday shopping season.

cheers