Archive and Install Basically Fresh with ability to carry over apps?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djnardu, Oct 19, 2007.

1. djnardu macrumors regular

djnardu

I want a clean OS but still want to keep my Apps. I'm assuming upgrade is just leopard with everything I had on Tiger. I know fresh install is basically nothing but the OS. So is Archive and Install the middle man? Can I have basically a clean OS with the ability to drag my old apps into it and then delete the tiger file?

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

No, it keeps your apps and prefs intact, saving a copy of the old system in case something breaks and you want to revert to the old install.

To do what you're talking about you'd want to do a clean install and back up all your apps first (typically on an external HD) using something like SuperDuper.

3. xfusejc macrumors 6502

^ So it'll be everything like it was with Tiger, except with a new operating system. That's what I wondering, if I would have to move everything from the "Previous System" folder into the new one. Everything stays the same. I'm glad.

What's the point of the Previous System folder and can you delete it?

4. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Archive and install is clean

The OS is installed to a new and clean folder or directory in DOS terms. The only unclean thing, which may not be unclean at all, is that it would glean your settings from the older OS. The OS itself would new new and clean. I do not think that there are comparisons to the Windows environment; it is just not the same kind of "update" process.

Others may need to correct me if I misstated anything. :apple: