Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
EDIT:Ugh - I forgot about the recovery boot. I am losing my mind....

I think I'm losing my mind. I need to do a fresh install of 10.9.5 on my Mac Pro, but after booting from a USB installer of Mavericks, I see no Option button on the "Install OS X" window. The drive I need to install to is there and it's selected, but in previous versions of OS X my recollection is once you clicked on the drive an Option button appeared that provided the Archive and Install. Am I misremembering this, or has something changed with Mavericks? I don't want to do a clean install because I have 1.5 TB of data to transfer and that will take 12 hours or so with Migration Assistant.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
EDIT:Ugh - I forgot about the recovery boot. I am losing my mind....

That option is gone, a default Mavericks install is in effect archive and install now and will replace (update) the OS but will not erase your personal data.

Comment

Wheelie4

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
NC, USA
Reinstall OS X keeping your files and user settings intact

OS X Mavericks: Reinstall OS X

Use the built-in recovery disk to reinstall OS X while keeping your files and user settings intact.

Important: You must be connected to the Internet to reinstall OS X.
Choose Apple menu > Restart. Once your Mac restarts (and the gray screen appears), hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys.
If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu (in the top-right corner of the screen).
Select Reinstall OS X, then click Continue.
Follow the onscreen instructions. In the pane where you select a disk, select your current OS X disk (in most cases, it’s the only one available).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.