archive and install -- previous system

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mikefly, Sep 19, 2007.

1. mikefly macrumors regular

heya,

did an archive and install to fix a couple problems with OSX -- now I've got a 4GB folder called previous system -- can I delete this or do I need to keep it?

(and/or keep certain files only?)

Thanks,

Mike

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

the system should not be accessing any files in that folder. It is just for the user: data retrieval etc.

If you delete it, the system should not be affected.

3. mikefly thread starter macrumors regular

4. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

yeah, the stuff you want to keep. songs, files etc..

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Umm... no.

When you do an Archive and Install, the User folder is migrated automatically into the new OS, so all Users and their data are preserved, as are Libraries. Applications and any user-created data folders are not touched.

There should be no songs, files or user data remaining in the Previous System folder.

6. mikefly thread starter macrumors regular

folders
    apps,
    library
    private
    system
    users

file
    mach.sym

--
    as ram stated, there are no docs or music etc.

But again ---> Do I need to keep any of these files, or can I just wipe them? on an 80GB HD, 4 is a lot!

Also, it looks like the apps are just mirrors (shortcuts/whatever) -- when I deleted some apps from the Apps folder, I think they were also deleted in the Previous system apps folder.

Mike

Thanks for any help

7. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

I've archived and installed not too long ago and most everything worked the same. The only problem was that some programs that I paid for that needed licenses could no longer function. To solve this, all I did was find the 'Application Support' folder in Library under Previous system. Find the app that isn't working and drag that folder to the new Library > Application Support folder. For example, Mathematica needs a license and after the archive, it would not work. I navigated to Previous Systems > Previous Systems1 > Library and dragged the Mathematica folder to Library > Application support in my current system. Works fine.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

^ what ultimate said.

Test all of your programs, a few of them object to being moved (or having their System: Library stuff moved) and will demand to be reinstalled and/or serial numbers reinput. You can do that, or you can try manually moving Preferences, Application Support and other items relevant to that application from the Previous System Folder to the live one.

Keep in mind, however, that if it was that program that was crashing your machine, you would be better to reinstall it, than risk moving corrupted preferences and support files into your clean new System.

9. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

I didn't have a program crashing my machine. It was just that I could not log out, shut down, or restart normally. I would have force shutdown every time. AppleCare told me to archive and install, so I did. I was concerned that some programs may not work and I was right. So I just dragged the relevant folders from my previous system into my current one and they all work fine. :)

10. mikefly thread starter macrumors regular

cheers

woo.

that's the info I was looking for.

Many thanks,

Mike