archive and install question

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
If I wanted to repartition my hard drive, could I do an archive and install and install my system on one partition and put everything else on the second partition, including all the archived files? My external hard drive has some important stuff on it at the moment, and I won't be able to use it to back everything up until after I get it done with what's on there and burn it to dvds.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
No, repartitioning a drive with disk utility erases absolutely everything on the drive.

That said, there is one or two programs around that will let you repartition and leave the data on it. However, they are commercial software and run at about $50 I think.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
yippy said:
No, repartitioning a drive with disk utility erases absolutely everything on the drive.

That said, there is one or two programs around that will let you repartition and leave the data on it. However, they are commercial software and run at about $50 I think.
Do these programs work for Intel Macs? I might consider them if they do. I know that Boot Camp does it. Is Apple planning on integrating this capability any time soon?