archive and install question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brentg33, Nov 23, 2007.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Hi. I know this has probably been ask a lot but I am currently doing an archive andinstall of leopard and want to know how to reload all my iPhoto and iTunes and third party apps via the archive and time machine. Please help asap
    thanks
    Brent

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Archive and Install doesn't removed apps or data so you wont have to reload anything

3. dangerfish macrumors 6502

there is no need the reinstall anything. Your stuff is still there.

4. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks. Is it any different than the regular upgrade? And what do I donwith the previous system folder
    thanks

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Upgrade installs updates into your system folder, Archive & Install moves your current System folder to Previous System Folder and then creates a new System folder.

Once you are convinced that everything is working ok then you can delete the Previous System folder.

6. mojohojo macrumors regular

similar to OP question:

is doing a archive and install exactly the same as clean install except keeping your files/users?
    i rather do a clean install having a fresh start so hopefully it will start up quicker, however i rather have my user/profile, mail, internet settings kept.

so is doing an archive install pretty much same as wiping out all the files, except reserving your settings?