Archive and Install vs. Install from Time Machine backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by broncopde, Dec 18, 2008.

1. broncopde macrumors 6502

So, after this thread I figured out I probably need to Archive and Install my PowerBook. But I was thinking about it might be better to just install from my time machine backup. What is the primary difference? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Ultimately, the best method I find to reinstall is from scratch. If you have a recent backup and are confident that all of your data is correct from the Time Machine backup then I would suggest an Erase and Install from a Leopard or original system disk and then restoring from the backup when it boots for the first time via the Migration Assistant.

While Archive and Install is similar and sufficient for most software problems I personally love a good format and reinstall with fresh updates. Always makes me feel warm inside.

Otherwise, the only time it would be absolutely necessary is when the system is completely hosed [Archive does not fix all, but most problems with the system], or when you do not have enough free space on your drive to perform an Archive as the old system folder is renamed Previous System and set aside for your review and deletion.

3. broncopde thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Thanks so much for your help, madog. I'm going to try a clean install and then migrate over.