Archive and Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by osirisX, Jun 23, 2007.

1. osirisX macrumors regular

I'm thinking of doing an archive and install for various reasons and I've never done it before. So I was wondering, how smooth is it and what kind of things does it archive?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's pretty smooth. It moves your old system to a "Previous System" folder where you can get anything you might need. There is also an option to preserve user and network settings, which should automatically import just about everything you might need into the new installation. More info is available here.

3. osirisX thread starter macrumors regular

So all my old preferences get moved back? Don't really feel like setting all that up again :p About how long does it take to do an archive and install?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, everything in your user home folder (which includes your preferences) is preserved if you select the preservation option. A few third-party apps may not work correctly after an Archive and Install and may need to be reinstalled, but the vast majority of them should be just fine.

5. osirisX thread starter macrumors regular

I did the archive and install. I'm impressed with how quick it was. Now I just have to update to 10.4.10 again :/