Archive & Install with snow leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Salmar, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Salmar macrumors regular

I was just talking to a Mac friend of mine and he said that he thinks it won't be possible to do an archive and install using snow leopard. Does anyone have any information about that. He said that because it made no mention of archive and install on the dvd disk. Now he has me wondering. Is he right or wrong?

thanks for a reply

2. heruv macrumors newbie

You can still do an Archive and Install of Snow Leopard but it's a little bit more complicated than before.

3. blushark macrumors newbie

Archive and Install

I spoke to David Pogue, author of mac OS X Missing Manual, and he told me that Snow Leopard, is doing "Archive and Install" automatically, i.e. it does that by default.

Cheers:)

4. blushark macrumors newbie

Archive and Install

I upgraded my system to 10.6 and at first, I was nervous but the whole process were painless. I did not chose to install Rosetta but at the end I was prompted if I would want to install it for my Spyder2 pro to work. Whole process lasted 50 minutes from clicking the install button to getting my new subtle Snow up and running. I supposed it would be a lot less if I didn't have Photoshop CS4 in my system (with Bridge), Drive Genius and Aperture. Some upgraders said it took them 35 minutes from start to fresh start.

Good luck!!

5. Salmar thread starter macrumors regular

Okay thanks for all the replies and I guess that answered my question.

6. heruv macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard does not do such a thing. It simply upgrades you to Snow Leopard. And if you already have Snow Leopard installed and attempt to reinstall it, it just installs over your previous installation; it's basically acting like reinstalling Windows over the same version, keeping all the programs and settings in place, including stuff that doesn't work. :(

Doing a real archive and install like I mentioned above made SL work a lot better for me.