Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, Reddit user Nucleam shared photo albums containing archives of all of the different wallpapers that Apple has offered for iOS and macOS, providing an interesting trip down memory lane.

There are two separate Google Photos albums for iOS and macOS, with images dating back multiple years.

ios4wallpapers-800x452.jpg

The iOS album, for example, contains wallpapers from iOS 3 and beyond, along with promotional images Apple has used for advertising purposes, images from WWDC and special events, and more.

macos9wallpapers-800x447.jpg

The macOS album features wallpapers dating back to System 7, with images from Mac OS 9, all the versions of OS X, and more modern wallpapers from the newer versions of the Mac operating system. Event wallpapers, such as those used for the 2017 iMac and the 2017 MacBook Pro, are also available.

As The Loop pointed out this morning, this is an excellent collection of wallpapers that's worth checking out if you want to revisit (and use) some of Apple's past wallpaper options.

Article Link: Archive Offers Up All Past Mac and iOS Wallpapers

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I've always found iOS 4's default wallpaper… hideous. I love teal, but teal to grey? Raindrops? The combination doesn't even make sense. What does it mean?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You didn't post it on Reddit. Macrumors is more likely to pull things from its own forums rather than Redd.. oh... wait.. Nevermind.
This. This so much yes this. I used to post more mockups back in the day and then some other site like 9to5Mac later on would have similar mockups and then MacRumors would do a story on that. I actually designed things that made it into iOS a year or two later in similar form, lol. Like the original lock screen notification interface.

Reactions: Mikey44

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I thought it was a zip file. Was going to download it on my iPhone. Don't want to save one file at a time.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but isn’t posting assets from a beta OS against the beta program T&Cs? For that matter, isn’t hosting any Apple IP on a non-Apple server without permission a no-no?

cecil444

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
NY
Yay this makes me happy. I tried to collect them once but knew I’d missed some. Love all the old wallpapers :)

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I thought it was a zip file. Was going to download it on my iPhone. Don't want to save one file at a time.

Check this link below ↓ -- if you go to his Dropbox link and choose to "direct download", it'll come in as a single ZIP.

ummmmmm, I did this over a year ago and got no recognition... sigh. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/project-complete-collection-of-mac-os-wallpapers.2036834/

EDIT: And he's asking for donations?!

Reactions: JosephAW

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Bring back the flying toasters screen saver, THEN we'll talk.
Here's a browser based recreation:
https://www.bryanbraun.com/2014/03/15/how-i-rebuilt-flying-toasters-using-only-css-animations/

You could probably setup a web server on your Mac and run it locally:

http://osxdaily.com/2016/06/05/web-site-as-screen-saver-mac/

Someone else has a screensaver for sale:

http://en.infinisys.co.jp/product/flyingtoasters/index.shtml

I had Energizer Bunny; scared me to death when for some reason a 2 AM it came on a full volume...

Last edited:
Reactions: Madd the Sane

Colonel Blimp

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2016
What are these "wallpapers" of which you speak?

Here in the Mac world, we have "desktop pictures." Never in the Macintosh System Software, nor in Mac OS, nor in Mac OS X, nor in OS X, nor yet in macOS have desktop pictures been referred to as "wallpapers."

Are you all (yes, including you, Juli) fifth columnists? Harrumph!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.