Archive password cracker (zip, rar, etc)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jethryn Freyman, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I've searched the forums and Googled, no luck. I'm looking for a program that can crack password protected .zip and .rar archives. Command line or GUI, Mac or Linux source.

I've found "rarcrack", but it seems to recover the wrong password (says " '0' " and " '1' " are the passwords), and fcrackzip, but I can't find a working download link for it.

Anybody know of any archive cracker out there? (or a download link to fcrackzip)

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's against the forum rules to post asking for info on cracking. You can even get banned.

3. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I just read through the forum rules twice, there are rules against illegally cracking software, but not against looking for a piece of software that can be used for legitimate purposes (e.g. forgotten passwords.)

If I have missed or misinterpreted a rule, I'd like to have it pointed out so I don't get myself banned by accident.

If I'm right, and I haven't broken a rule, my first question still stands.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

And how could we know it's really a forgotten password or a stolen file that you're trying to break into? Regardless of whether or not it's legit, the programs that do it can be used for illegal use and you're not supposed to get help for that.

5. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Well, on this forum, people are helped with their torrent troubles, and torrent programs are more likely to be used for illegal purposes. You'll just have to trust me ;)