Archive Utility not quitting automatically

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by desertman, Aug 19, 2012.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

Since using OS X 10.8 when unzipping an archive the application Archive Utiliy starts and does not quit automatically after the work is done. Archive Utility stays open and has a visible icon in the Dock.

Is this normal? How can I prevent that?

Thanks - desertman

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Not sure. I'd trash the plist file, com.apple.archiveutility.plist located at ~/Library/Preferences see if that helps. There is no setting to keep it open, so it's a long shot.

3. nyolc8 macrumors regular

For me it closes itself. So I think that is not normal for you. I just checked Archive Utility preferences but didn't find any setting related to this.
    try deleting "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.archiveutility.plist"
    (~ means your home folder)

edit.: beaten. :D

4. weeksatimd macrumors newbie

I am seeing the same thing on one of the two Macs I just upgraded to Mountain Lion. It definitely didn't happen on Lion and I have not found out how to fix it. I have trashed the Archive Utility preferences, but that doesn't fix the problem.

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I don't have any other ideas. Sorry. Mine quits after it unzips. By chance is there anything in the system log about it when this happens?

6. weeksatimd macrumors newbie

I repaired permissions and rebooted. That seems to have fixed it. It is closing automatically now as it should.

7. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Obvious solution I forgot about. Glad it's working.

8. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

This worked for me, too ... for a while. After some time Archive Utility stayed again open, just like before.

I found a way around by going away from Archive Utility completely and using the free utility The Unarchiver instead.