Archive Utility

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by mikecwest, Nov 14, 2013.

1. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

I tried to download the newest release of DavMail from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/davmail/files/latest/download

Safari automatically unzipped the file, and when I try to open it, it gives me a message that the application is corrupt and should be moved to the trash.

I repeated several times from several mirrors. The same results occurred.

I picked on of the zips, that Safari (or Archive Utility) had moved to the trash, moved it to my desktop, unzipped it with WinZipMac and the file is fine.

Is there something wrong with MY archive Utility, or is something wrong with the ZIP file?

2. drew627 macrumors regular

Go to Safari's Preferences window, General tab, and un-tick "open safe files after downloading". That'll stop Safari from automatically opening them.

The corrupt file error is actually not an error. You can go to System Preferences -> Security pane -> General tab, and select allow apps downloaded from "Anywhere". That'll stop the warning. However, this is not always recommended if you don't think you're tech savvy because you may have downloaded a malicious software and not know it. I'd recommend the second option, "Mac App Store and identified developers".

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I do not know what specifically causes this misleading error. 99% of the time, such errors are caused by Gatekeeper, as drew627 described. I think the message ought to be changed, though - I am a programmer, and I dislike misleading errors as much as users do. ;)