Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cplav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Is there a way or an app that will allow me to save my voicemail indefinately? I need to do it for legal reasons and don't want to lose the voicemail.

Thanks

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
The following is what I wrote for getting SMS off the phone. I edited it for voicemail. I assure you that this all works, since I personally checked to see that I had a voicemail on my PC awhile back when I was writing this up.

Anyway, here's what you can use for a PC (for a Mac you can use the extractor, but you'll have to work off the backup on your Mac, see this link for the Mac version ):

http://www.reincubate.com/labs/iphon...ackup-windows/

Use the iPhone Backup Extractor to make a db file of the voicemail (or any number of other parts in the backup....notes, etc., you'll want to check the option "restore some or all files from backup manually.")

http://menoob.com/2008/12/04/how-to-...your-computer/

You don't necessarily need DiskAid if you already have the backup on your PC, but DiskAid is invaluable if you've somehow crapped your computer and only have the iPhone, since it can read the iPhone and get your backup on to a computer. After extracting the part of the backup you want, use the linked SQLite Database Browser to then make a wav file (I think that was the type of file, or it's some other sound extension) of each of the voicemails. You'll be able to at least see your voicemail (or any number of other parts in the backup....notes, etc., that you extracted from the backup above).

Sorry, if the above sounds obtuse, but if you have problems I'll post later tonight when I'm at home and have access to these programs and can better layout the steps if you get confused.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I wish I had known about this as I would have loved to have kept the last voice mail ever received from someone.

Oh well, bygones.

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
Or if you are brave:
1. Jail Brake (blackra!n)
2. install ssh (Le Gasp!) change the default PW per any of the 10 kajilbazilon threads on doing so
3. SSH/ftp into phone, grab the VMs in their AMR format and do with them as you please
4. Profit!?

cplav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks for the info, I will check it out later tonight. If I have any questions or issues I let you know. This is very helpful!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.