Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saladiro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2007
New York
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good online back up software that can back up external hard drives in particular?

I have Carbonite and it can not.(for a Mac that is)

Nov 28, 2010
located
What do you mean with "online"? Do you want to backup to the Cloud (internet service) or do you want to run a software within your browser to backup to another HDD?

Have you looked at CarbonCopyCloner (which is an application to backup to an external HDD) or DropBox (which is an online service to store data)?

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I've been using CrashPlan lately; so far I love and, if I'm reading your post right, it does what you are asking. In my current setup I have CrashPlan managing the backup for 3 drives in my system. All the drives are backed up to their servers and the backup is also mirrored on a local drive for rapid restoration. The only caveat I've found so far is that while it can backup my NTFS drives when booted into Mac OS X, since they are read-only under Mac OS X, it is unable to restore anything to them unless I reboot into Windows (or remount them RW).

saladiro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2007
New York
What do you mean with "online"? Do you want to backup to the Cloud (internet service) or do you want to run a software within your browser to backup to another HDD?

Have you looked at CarbonCopyCloner (which is an application to backup to an external HDD) or DropBox (which is an online service to store data)?

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the Image button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the Image button below your message.

I want to back up my external HD to a software program (eg Carbonite...well that didnt work),

Nov 28, 2010
located
I want to back up my external HD to a software program (eg Carbonite...well that didnt work),

Now you confuse me more.
Carbonite is an online backup system, meaning you backup to some server(s) located somewhere else via the internet.
You can't backup to a software, as a software is local and stored on your Mac, unless you mean, "online backup service similar to Carbonite" with software.
Have you tried the already suggested method via CrashPlan?
Have you tried troubleshooting Carbonite via the Carbonite Support System?
Carbonite offers the backing up of an external HDD: http://www.carbonite.com/en/blog/In...Your-Carbonite-Home-Home-Office-Online-Backup

Btw: To edit your posts, use the
edit.gif
button.

saladiro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2007
New York
Now you confuse me more.
Carbonite is an online backup system, meaning you backup to some server(s) located somewhere else via the internet.
You can't backup to a software, as a software is local and stored on your Mac, unless you mean, "online backup service similar to Carbonite" with software.
Have you tried the already suggested method via CrashPlan?
Have you tried troubleshooting Carbonite via the Carbonite Support System?
Carbonite offers the backing up of an external HDD: http://www.carbonite.com/en/blog/In...Your-Carbonite-Home-Home-Office-Online-Backup

Btw: To edit your posts, use the Image button.

hi, sorry about the confusion...

basically here is my problem,......

i use carbonite to back up my everyday files...word,excel,adobe..etc...

I have an external harddrive with a ton of photos

anything on that external hard drive cant be backed up by carbonite (only for windows can this be done)

so, i need an app (afraid to call it that), or something similar to carbonite that will also back up data on an external hard drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.