archiving DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by john2006wright, Dec 12, 2008.

1. john2006wright macrumors regular

Hi guys. I would like to "archive" my film dvds so I can watch them on my mac or create a dvd in the future, should I loose or scratch the original disc. I have mac the ripper, which I downloaded over a year ago but not used yet. Is this the best program for archiving a dvd. Basically I want to create as good a copy as possible of the whole DVD (including menu options preferably), which in years to come wil be good to use on any computer or convert into a DVD (or whatever takes over from DVD). It would save carrying the DVDs around when I travel for work etc. I'd rather not have to pay for new software to do this.

What do you guys use?

john

p.s. I'm not too bothered about which program to use burn dvds (yet), just which is best to create a copy without losing quality.

thanks

2. Hipnomac macrumors regular

Hipnomac

mac the ripper is perfect for this.

It saves the whole file, then you just open up dvd player and play the Videots file, and it plays as if the DVD were in the drive.

3. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! Will this file work on a PC laptop also? I sometimes have to take my work laptop with me when I travel. Could I just transfer the file and load it up and watch in windows?

4. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it will work in any player that supports playing from a VIDEO_TS folder.

VideoLanClient for example does this and supports a lot of operating systems.