Archiving Final Cut Pro Projects

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by squawk77, Jun 16, 2014.

1. squawk77 macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro HDD is full and I realized the few projects I made on Final Cut Pro are taking up 200GB (I don't "import" the raw files and keep them on externals)

I figured out that I should "delete render files" and that I can move events to an external HDD in case I want to make changes again. However, that doesn't seem to help much

I started manually using Finder to delete the transcoded media. Shouldn't there be an easy way to do that on a Mac? Is there a way to do it all in Final Cut Pro itself?

There seems to be more huge hidden files wasting memory.. I can't imagine those who edit a lot of large videos keep this stuff? What do you do to archive your projects?..

Thanks

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Generally when I archive a project I'll keep the following things:
    1. project files (NLE project file, AE project file, etc.,)
    2. XML export of project file
    3. All original media (camera footage, graphics, music, etc.,)
    4. Master export with split audio (dialogue, music, voice over, sound effects, etc., all on different audio tracks).
    5. A media managed or consolidate version of the project (basically a copy of the project that only contains what was used in the final timeline. This makes it much easier to bring back a project if minor tweaks are needed down the line).

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yep.

Select the event in the Event Library and then there's a menu option in (I think) the 'Final Cut Pro' menu that says something about erasing renders. I'm not home to check, but I'm pretty sure that's where it is.

Also, do you transcode the media when you import? If so you can erase the Pro Res Transcoded media folder and Final Cut will automatically switch back to using the (smaller) original camera files.

I don't know of an in-app way to do that one, though. I'm still using Finder for that.

4. Chad3eleven macrumors regular