Archiving mail on the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gaelinic, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Gaelinic macrumors regular

So, I finally made the plunge and bought a Verizon iPhone yesterday. I was hoping to wait for the iPhone 5 but my last phone was "lost" to the wind. Nevermind that the wife doesn't believe me.

Anyway, I'm playing around with my Gmail settings and notice an icon I cannot understand at the bottom of each email I read. It's the third icon from the left at the bottom. The internet tells me it's for archiving emails. What does that mean?

Each time I read an email and press the icon, the email disappears. Did I just send it to the trash?

Why didn't it ask me if I were sure?

Where did that email go?

How can I retrieve that email?

Thank you.

Gaelinic

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That is the Archive "button". If you had rather have the trash can there go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars, >your Gmail account, and on the first page, you will see "Archive Messages".

Nope, if you have "Archive Messages" selected in settings, tapping that icon places the mail in the "All Mail" folder.

Because you didn't delete it!
    To the All Mail folder.
    Open the All Mail folder.

3. Gaelinic thread starter macrumors regular

Is there are way to set up my home email program on my Mac to work like the iphone? In other words, can I have the same Gmail folders visible on the Mac's email program at home?

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yes...