Archiving Marketplace Threads

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by redAPPLE, Aug 20, 2007.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

hi.

i did a search about this topic and couldn't find anything about it, so i guess i'd ask it here.

how often do the marketplace gets "cleaned up"? how long does sold items (and items that are not sold) stay in the marketplace forum?

it would be great if sold items get "trashed" when not available or something...

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

If by trashed you mean deleted, I would have to disagree. Sometimes it's good to look back at threads to see how transactions progressed and for potential buyers/ sellers to be able to gauge another member's reliability.

3. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Well, assuming by his thread title I think the OP means an "archived" sub-forum section where old market posts go to, they won't clog up the main forum but are still available for a look back.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We generally don't want to close or archive Marketplace threads, as even when you think a sale is over, there can be a need for additional posts to confirm shipment or receipt of an item or to give feedback on the seller or item.

Because the threads are sorted by the date of the last post, it seems to me that listings with no more interest in them will quickly sink to the bottom anyway. I guess I just don't see how an old thread on Page 10 of the Marketplace forum is clogging it up in any way.

I've long been a proponent of sellers adding "SOLD" to the thread titles when the item is no longer available so that people don't have to open the thread to find out that info, but it's not official policy. That technique also gets a bit messy if there are multiple items offered in a single thread.

5. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

yeah, i meant, it would be easier to find stuff that are available.

i would guess that once an item is sold or stop being available, the OP might forget to edit the original item with e.g. sold etc.