Archiving music using iTunes' star rating + external location of library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nubben, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Nubben macrumors regular

Nubben

Hi all,

I have a MBP 160GB and an external 1TB external drive together with a new iPhone. I store my iTunes library on the external drive. I have recently come to the conlusion that I am not listening to all my music and would like to create an "archive" library of songs not often played (don't want to delete them) and basically "fill" the iPhone with new music. I also want to keep my main library on my MBP drive so that I do not have to be tied so much to the external drive. I would not be able to fit my iTunes library on my drive with space leftover for photos, movies etc.

What am I looking for? A system where I can use scripts or whatever to keep a local (MBP drive) library and and archive library on the external. I would rate the music on the iPhone - sync it with iTunes and transfer any 1 or 2 starred songs to the archive library. I use a program called MultiTunes to keep separate libraries so I have that part covered.

Does anyone have experience in dealing with "archive" libraries? Would really appreciate your input - how have you arranged the process? Do you use scripts (to retain the star ratings when transferring between libraries)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Nubben

2. Nubben thread starter macrumors regular

Nubben

3. live4ever macrumors 6502a

You can create a second library by holding "alt/option" before starting up iTunes. iTunes only can show one library at a time in the source pane so you can't really move songs from one library to another. The way you'd have to do it is drag the less played songs to to the Desktop from your "current" library then cmd-delete them from it and quit iTunes, hold option while restarting iTunes choose to open your "archive" library and add the songs from the Desktop to it.