Archiving solution?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by bobbydaz, Mar 25, 2009.

1. bobbydaz macrumors regular

We currently archive all our Studio's artwork to DVD (2 copies for on and off-site) and also place a copy on our server. As we often have to update/re-format old projects the server is where we re-call jobs from and the discs are just additional back-ups.

My issue is that some of our projects are so huge now that they have to spread over 3-4 DVDs which is a real pain and very time consuming. Is there a better way as I'm finding that the archiving process is taking up too much of our designers time. I was thinking of archiving to portable hard drives so we don't have to worry about conforming to DVD storage capacities. Would this be as reliable as a DVD?

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

DVD as a reliable storage medium is one for debate. Sunlight can easily b0rk a DVD as I've found out :(

Have you considered BluRay as an archiving media? 25Gb for a standard disc, 50Gb for a dual layer disc!

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Harddrive, at least 2 copies. 1 on site, 1 off site.

Use different brand harddrive. Wait for HD spin down (say 10 seconds or so) after ejecting before powering the HD off.

4. LeviG macrumors 65816

Not tried this but iomega do the rev drive (linky) in various capacities.

Personally I go for a couple of optical copies (one on/one off site) and a copy on my server (raid).

Current projects are also copied onto an external drive for quick removal if need be.

I've Considered a blu-ray drive but they're still a tad pricey on the media front.

5. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Prices will continue to fall. Cheapest I've found is £3.73 for a single 25Gb disc.

As for hard disks for archiving, there's something I'm not comfortable with when storing mechanical devices for long periods of time. I'd be okay if I were to have a few devices and rotate through them, overwriting the oldest every month for example. It depends how much data your talking about.

6. LeviG macrumors 65816

You can usually get around 25-50 dvd's for around £10 so unless you have a need for 25GB storage on a project it's kind of a little overpriced still. I know the prices will continue to come down and I reckon by the end of the year it may be a more economical purchase but for me I'll stick with dvd's :)
    Besides blu-ray is a bag of hurt :D

7. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

As you can see, the issue is of time an convenience, not of cost. 4x4.5Gb=18Gb, so that is near perfect for a BD-R disc with some room to spare.

8. LeviG macrumors 65816

It takes what 10 seconds to change a disk and any decent backup program should be able to auto split to x GB.
    I don't know how big the company the op is working for but cost should/can play a part too. I've just found 50 disks for £5 so 10p a disk, meaning 40/50p plus a few minutes switching disks versus £3.60 for keeping it all on one. Soon adds up if you have a fair few projects like that, then theres the price of the drive which still isn't as cost effective as a dvd/rw.

If the company has money to burn (or can recoup the cost easily) then obviously blu-ray is as good an option as anything else but an additional £3 per archive should really be taken into consideration, especially if they become coasters.

9. bobbydaz thread starter macrumors regular

Some interesting replies. Cost is not a major concern it's more a matter of time and convenience. Archiving is one of those jobs that we put to the back of the queue as we are always busy. When we eventually get round to it we tend to gang up as many jobs as will fit on a DVD and with most jobs being between 1-4 gb it takes quite a few discs to get through the backlog.

Not sure if Blu-ray is viable as I need to be access the off-site archive from other Macs that won't have a blu-ray drive.

Worried that Hard Drives may not be reliable so maybe I will have to continue with DVDs for now.

10. LeviG macrumors 65816

Ok as cost isn't an issue have you considered an offsite server.

Example - you could buy a low power 1u server (theres atom based ones now) or even a mac mini + OS-x Server if you prefer. Then add in a multi hard drive raid (3u iirc) which can be added to as capacity is needed.
    You then pay for (might be cheaper in US) the hosting (electric + bandwidth) at somewhere like custom's house as you're in London to allow for easy access etc.
    Make it so its only accessible from the business ip addresses (your office/home workers etc) so its more secure.
    Configure the inhouse one to mirror the 'stored' data with the offsite one and you will always have 2 copies.

If you had the requirements you could also utilise this option for hosting of business website, client access portals that sort of thing - might need a slightly better cpu than an atom though :).

Alternatively theres plenty of online 'backup' companies but I've not had any in depth experience with either of those solutions.