Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nelly22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
How i can create zip or dmg or similar single file from my old Time Machine folder Backups.backupdb? I need to permanently archive that as one file, not tons of files.

I think zip file won't work because hard links or some thing like that and dmg might have some problems too.

Thanks

nelly22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
How i can archive it as one file? It appears as folder in my external USB disk. If i use Apple instructions how to move TM folder, and then drag it to another drive, it copies all data file by file, not as one single file. Thanks

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
The backups.backupdb file is comprised of all your backups. So when you drag the folder from one drive to another, it will drag all the backups that it holds along with it. The copying of all the data files can not be avoided. You can, however, use something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to clone the Time Machine backup information to another drive.

How long do you want to keep your old backups? And think about whether or not they would be useful to you if need be. I do not keep my Time Machine backups any longer than 6 month before I start deleting them. That's your decision of course since only you know what your needs are.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
I lost my password for the TimeMachine, don't remember putting one in. Do I have to reformat the backup hard-drive?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
If you password protected your Time Machine backups and do not remember the password, then your only choice left is to format the Time Machine backup drive and start over.

nelly22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
I want permanently archive multiple backups.backupdb folders to one hard drive with one partition.

Is it possible to just put them to different folders?

/Volumes/Backup Drive/home mac/backups.backupdb
/Volumes/Backup Drive/home office/backups.backupdb

Time Machine don't need to see these backups. If i ever need to restore something, i just move backups.backupdb to root.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.