Archiving to SD card, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7on, Jul 12, 2009.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I just realized that I have a bunch of files on CDs from highschool, college, etc. and was wondering about the archival quality of SD cards.

As in, do they degrade faster or slower than CDR/DVDRs? And are there other problems with them?

2. beaner454 macrumors regular

Pros:

Easily Rewritable
    No Burning Required
    Less Physical Space
    Just Leave It In The Slot
    Uses Less Battery Power

Cons:

Tiny & Easier to Lose
    More Cost/GB

As far as the degradation I have noticed when I keep my DVD's & SD Cards safely stored away, my SD cards tend to have problems sooner. However, when I use them both regularly and with normal wear & tare the DVD's fail much sooner for me.

Personally I would go with the SD card route.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

SD cards are magnetic and can degrade over time - not likely, but possible. That, and they can inadvertently get wiped by a magnetic field, or ruined if they get wet.

Optical disks are forever unless the media becomes physically damaged.

4. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Plus, for archiving, CDs are much easier to label in detail than SD cards are.

5. bgd macrumors regular

Having struggled over the weekend to retrieve data from CDs archived about 8 years ago I'd have to disagree with this statement. No physical damage, I guess they have degraded over time.

6. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

I don't think SD cards are magnetic though.

And I have see CD-Rs become unreadable in less than 4 years just sitting on a shelf. At least a couple. The plastic that forms the pits and grooves for the 1s and 0s expands overtime eventually becoming indistinguishable over each other.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same here. I have backup CD's from 1998 that don't work anymore. They were kept in sleeves and never exposed to sunlight or water. Good quality discs too.
    Some brands have survived though. Sony failed but Memorex survived.